Switching to active pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switching to active pickups

DX10DFS has passive pickups. If I were to install EMG 81 & 85 and use the FireStorm 2-way switch as it already is - KILL/ON (saving battery power when not in use), would I be able to get away with just chopping off the old pickups and putting the EMG's in their place, or does the wiring need re-directing? Apologies for the newb question.
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

You'll need to replace the existing 500k pots with 25k EMG pots.

Also, I would not recommend using the Firestorm with the active EMG's. You can try it, but I'm not sure you'll be please with the results!

Thanks for playing a Jackson!

Comment

What about switching passives on my 85 Rhoads to active Emg's? Will I need to get a different switch, than the toggle that came with it?
      I love admins!

Comment

If you're using just a basic switch it doesn't matter, but you do need the correct pots (25k, as pointed out) and a stereo jack.

Comment

Ah cool, I'll put the Emg pots that come with them! What about the tone knob?
          I love admins!

Comment

tone knobs and their functions shrivel and die when EMGs come to town.
            Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
            Sully Guitars on Facebook
            Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by sully
              I used to agree with that til I put an 81 in the bridge of my Model 2. The crunch was always good, but the clean was a bit shrill. I was amazed that rolling back the tone knob really warmed up the clean sound. I figure it would just muddy it like passives, but was pleasantly surprised.
              "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Originally posted by sully
                I highly disagree. EMG tone knobs are very responsive to their pickups.

I feel tone knobs on guitars with passive pickups usually shrivel and die.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

So the tone knob I currently have won't work?? Sorry but I'm stupid when it somes to my axes electronics!
                  I love admins!

Comment

So if I want to swap out the EMG's from my MII Urban Camo and replace the with Duncans I just reverse what was discussed in this thread. Replace the 25k volume pot with a 500k pot and replace the stereo jack with a regular jack. I have decided that EMG's just don't get me that 80's razor tone!

Comment

Originally posted by Predator1
                      So if I want to swap out the EMG's from my MII Urban Camo and replace the with Duncans I just reverse what was discussed in this thread. Replace the 25k volume pot with a 500k pot and replace the stereo jack with a regular jack. I have decided that EMG's just don't get me that 80's razor tone!
                      You won't have to replace the stereo jack. Passive pups can use that jack as well. You would indeed have to put either 500k, 250k or 1 meg. pots instead of the 25k.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Don't you guys know that EMG's are the devil?

Comment

Originally posted by sl2lover
                          So the tone knob I currently have won't work?? Sorry but I'm stupid when it somes to my axes electronics!
                          The tone knob will work fine, it's the tone pot you need to change
                          METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

Working...
                          X