Guitar squealing...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitar squealing...

I know that a pickup that has gone microphonic can cause squealing under high gain conditions but are there any other reasons a guitar can squeal with a steady high pitched feedback unless the guitars volume is rolled back a few numbers?
    I have 2 guitars that do this with the bridge pickups only. One has an original 1st year Evolution in it that I suspect needs to be potted.
    The other is a strat with Carvin H60's in it. These are stacked humbuckers in a single coil package and are sealed like an EMG so there is no way to pot them.
    Could pots have an affect?

Not much help here, but if you deaden (sp?) the strings completely and deaden your pickup by holding it with a couple of fingers - there should not be any feedback. Always been that way with my guitars no matter the volume.
    Henrik
    AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Sounds like you just might be too close to a high gain amp with high gain pickups.

Matt

Comment

jg, you start sounding like Jake E. Lee
        Henrik
        AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Originally posted by jackson1
          jg, you start sounding like Jake E. Lee
          Hmmm.. I think your right. I still love Jacksons though.

Comment

Originally posted by OnlineStageGear
            Sounds like you just might be too close to a high gain amp with high gain pickups.

Matt
            I hear you but I have several other guitars with high gain pickups that don't squeal. Actually, the Carvin H60's aren't even that high gain.
            Its just these 2 guitars. Can potentiometers or pickup height have anything to do with it? I don't think so but...

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable
              I hear you but I have several other guitars with high gain pickups that don't squeal. Actually, the Carvin H60's aren't even that high gain.
              Its just these 2 guitars. Can potentiometers or pickup height have anything to do with it? I don't think so but...
              JG I'm watching this thread closely because I have a 78 LP that has not given me any problems till just the other day. Everything was set the same as always and all of a sudden it started squealing on me.I am very suspicious of the volume pot.

Comment

doubtful that it's a pot issue. could be pickup height, but i'm thinkin you got a couple of mr. microphones on your hands.
                Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                Sully Guitars on Facebook
                Sully Guitars on Google+
                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I am gonna pot the Evolution tonight. I am gonna try potting the Carvin too. Maybe being submerged in hot wax will reseal up the windings internally by causing the wax inside the pickup to remelt.

Comment

I am gonna pot the Evolution tonight. I am gonna try potting the Carvin too. Maybe being submerged in hot wax will reseal up the windings internally by causing the wax inside the pickup to remelt.
                    Good iea, just be careful.
                    I'm not implying you don't know what your doing, I'm just saying be careful.
                    Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

yeah, and don't try to drink it, either. oddly enough, it doesn't impress the ladies.
                      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                      Sully Guitars on Facebook
                      Sully Guitars on Google+
                      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I had the same problem through my peavey revolution. Dinky XL w/stock pups -> line 6 uber metal pedal with noise gate on the highest setting -> peavey revolution = squeal city, seemed microphonic as hell.

Exact same setup but into my new Laney halfstack, no squeal, no hum, no nothing. Perfectly fine (got a new lead too). So if you're sure its not the pickups, it could be your amp/leads.

Not speaking from technical knowledge, but from experience So I could be wrong.

James

Comment

I know that a pickup that has gone microphonic can cause squealing under high gain conditions but are there any other reasons a guitar can squeal with a steady high pitched feedback?
                          Maybe you finally found there G spot :ROTF:
                          or maybe they heard you playing the deliverance theme song and
                          figured thats what you wanted. squeeel like a pig

Comment

Working...
                          X