Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Order of effects in a chain?

Hello...

Sorry if this has been answered before, couldn't find the thread. I have recently began buying pedals again. (I have decided I like turning knobs A LOT more than scrolling-through menus on my processors )

I have the following pedals and I was curious how they should be ordered. However, what is the definition of "FIRST" in the chain? The first pedal after the guitar or the last pedal before the amp?

Ok...here is what I have collected:

1. Allum Modded TS9 Tube Screamer
    2. Keeley SD-1 Overdrive
    3. Boss DD-3 Delay
    4. Allum Modded Boss CS-3 Compressor\Sustainer
    5. Boss CH-3 Chorus
    6. Boss NS-2 Noise Supresser
    7. Dimebag Wah Pedal

Can someone point me in the right direction as far as what order to put them in?

Thanks,

Dan

Any order you like. I can't be arsed to keep re-patching leads, so I went for a Boss GT-8 which has plenty of dials/pots anyway. I can keep re-ordering and still go back to previous patches without having to remember the settings i made.
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

I've checked into this. I seems that Distortion goes first, then Noise supressor. then time based effects: Chorus, flanger, reverb.

Noise sup needs to go in front of time based fx cause it could suppress those.

hope this helps, bob

Comment

how is the gt8? I was tempted a few times to grab one of those or a gt6 on e bay a few times.

I like boss effects.

Comment

Originally posted by shredhed
          I've checked into this. I seems that Distortion goes first, then Noise supressor. then time based effects: Chorus, flanger, reverb.

Noise sup needs to go in front of time based fx cause it could suppress those.

hope this helps, bob
          I like to run gating BEFORE the distortion. That way, it's merely gating my guitar's signal, and nothing else. Unless you clean/distortion ratio is dead even, you may run into gating issues, the other way.
          I'm not Ron!

Comment

Originally posted by JZ06
            how is the gt8? I was tempted a few times to grab one of those or a gt6 on e bay a few times.

I like boss effects.
            I've always used Boss guitar multi-FX. You can edit just about everything on the GT-8. Its essentially a GT-6 on steroids. More editable paremters, a true loop section that doesn't compromise the OD/DIST section now, certain FX are no longer restricted to FX1, an amp control, seperate COMP section, etc.
            Last edited by wilkinsi; 05-07-2006, 11:05 PM.
            Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by ripley156
              Hello...

Sorry if this has been answered before, couldn't find the thread. I have recently began buying pedals again. (I have decided I like turning knobs A LOT more than scrolling-through menus on my processors )

I have the following pedals and I was curious how they should be ordered. However, what is the definition of "FIRST" in the chain? The first pedal after the guitar or the last pedal before the amp?

Ok...here is what I have collected:

1. Allum Modded TS9 Tube Screamer
              2. Keeley SD-1 Overdrive
              3. Boss DD-3 Delay
              4. Allum Modded Boss CS-3 Compressor\Sustainer
              5. Boss CH-3 Chorus
              6. Boss NS-2 Noise Supresser
              7. Dimebag Wah Pedal

Can someone point me in the right direction as far as what order to put them in?

Thanks,

Dan
              That's a good order, but I would put the Compressor first and the Wah second. Having the Wah last always puts way too much wah in my sound. If you are using the Overdrive for a lead boost, I would put that last.

Matt

Comment

The way I run my FX is this:
                Guitar to distortion pedal(low setting - just for some color) then to amp.
                Then I use my GT6 in manual as an fx platform in the fx loop. It's set up like this. Compressor - Wah - EQ - Surpressor -then all the time based fx like chorus, phase, rev, etc. volume pedal is in there somewhere

This way is great for me because those effects sound awesome in the loop as opposed to in front.

Hope this helps, bob

Comment

Here is a bunch of stuff to read on the subject...

http://www.amptone.com/index.html

Comment

It's all a mystery, that's my answer. I bought a Compressor (DBX 166XL) from a friend who was a big Husker Du fan. He could get that Bob Mould sound by putting his Compressor last after a delay, MXR Distortion + and Ibanez CS9 Chorus.

I bought his Compressor from him and put it last after my delay, my DOD Grunge and Ibanez CS9 Chorus. Sounded like junk. I put the Compressor first, problem solved.

I've fiddled around quite a bit with different effects and I've just come to the conclusion that there is no proper way to link the chain. Just do what sounds best.

Comment

Hey Wilkinsi, do you use the effects loop in the back of your amp with your GT-8? I tried using it because I have a JSX series tube amp and I wanted to use the distortion from that (cause it screams!), but when I hooked it up, the sounds all came out muddled.

I think maybe its because the amp distortion is last in the chain of effects and therefore, distorting all the sounds before it. Do you have any idea how I'd put the distortion from the amp head first in the chain of effects?
                      Last edited by Jack71; 06-19-2006, 12:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X