Neck pocket question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neck pocket question

Is the DK2 and the DKMG neck pocket suppose to have the same dimensions? I'm wondering if a DK2 neck would fit a DKMG body and vice-versa?
    Good deals with:
    Metal Medal II, Tonyl11

Yes, those necks will interchange no problem. The only problem you run into when swapping Jackson necks is going from 22 to 24 fret. Other than that, just about everything is interchangeable.
    Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

I'm curious, where in the thread listed does it say that the neck pockets of the DK2 and DKMG have the same specs? It is easy to assume that because they are both set-up for 24 fret necks that it will work. Well, I just bought a DK2 neck to put on a DKMG body and the neck is too big for the pocket. I started this thread in hopes that someone had the actual specs of the two to see whether my neck pocket may have been cut too tight or if the two actually had different dimensions.
      Good deals with:
      Metal Medal II, Tonyl11

Comment

Not meaning to be patronising at all, but are you sure its too big and not just extremely tight? As Ive swapped necks around and found them to be extremely tight fits....
        Hope someone can reply with dimensions

James

Comment

Originally posted by Mr White
          Not meaning to be patronising at all, but are you sure its too big and not just extremely tight? As Ive swapped necks around and found them to be extremely tight fits....
          Hope someone can reply with dimensions

James
          I would have had to get the router out to make it work. I ended up swapping necks with another one of my mutts and it actually worked out better in the end so problem solved.
          Good deals with:
          Metal Medal II, Tonyl11

Comment

Glad to hear it mate.

James

Comment

Just thought I'd add a little info to help. Now I have no idea how much you've fooled with guitars but I have found that some guys think a neck should slide in from the heel first and don't realize the neck (the sides of the neck and the sides of the pocket) are on a taper. They will not slide right in, you have to slide the neck into the "face" of the guitar, not in from the heel and sometimes the neck "seems" to "big" for the pocket. Did that make sense?

Again, I'm not saying you're wrong, just trying to help. Sometimes little things like this are misunderstood.
              Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

The neck is just really tight, but it WILL fit, no routing required. Ive swapped just about every neck you can think of back and fourth, and while some were MUCH tighter than others, and some were very lose, they all will fit without modifications.
                Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Both of those guitars have 1 1/4" neck pockets, so I don't see the problem. A good fit is supposed to be very tight. (I'm still talking about guitars here).
                  Oh, and +1 on Daves suggestion, they have to be put in correctly.
                  Last edited by mm2002; 05-07-2006, 11:36 PM.
                  My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Just slap the sucker in there from the bottom up and bring it down from the front. Budman is always right. It is not a straight shot down from the heel to the pocket bottom. Or something like that. The necks come off as a tilt from the head going forward and goes back the opposite way. And if I am wrong, than I just fukked up 20 guitars.
                    I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Working...
                    X