Frets problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frets problems

Anyone know of somebody who does fret work? I have a situation where i think my Custom painted Warrior needs a fret job, maybe refret the guitar. Frets 1-12 have some guages & dings. Thanks
    According To The Prophecy

Well, I guess the question is does it affect the playability? That may sound dumb, but I have some guitars that have some prettty heavy wear and tear and they still play fine. If the frets have grooves, try planing them down a bit with a very sharp Swiss Army knife to even them out a bit. And if I am giving bad advise, I'll fall on mine. Fret dressing isn't cheap and a fret job costs a lot. If you are comtemplating have the fret work done, try this first. You have nothing to lose.
    I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

heh...except playability!

chuk, you've got friends at the GC near you, does their tech do fretwork? depending on the size of the frets, you may be able to get away with a level and polish, which shouldn't be much more than $75.

sully
      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
      Sully Guitars on Facebook
      Sully Guitars on Google+
      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

If I were to get a fret job, I'd either go for a Plek job or Dan Erlewine. He's in Athens, OH.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Fettster
          Well, I guess the question is does it affect the playability? That may sound dumb, but I have some guitars that have some prettty heavy wear and tear and they still play fine. If the frets have grooves, try planing them down a bit with a very sharp Swiss Army knife to even them out a bit. And if I am giving bad advise, I'll fall on mine. Fret dressing isn't cheap and a fret job costs a lot. If you are comtemplating have the fret work done, try this first. You have nothing to lose.
          LOL! a fret job cost as much a new axe for Mr. Fettster LOL!

I do agree with you, my 1977 LP Custom has the original frets, and you can imagine how bad they are, but the axe is still extremely playable. I'm really worried if I have it re-fretted it might loose some of it's MoJo.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP
            LOL! a fret job cost as much a new axe for Mr. Fettster LOL!

I do agree with you, my 1977 LP Custom has the original frets, and you can imagine how bad they are, but the axe is still extremely playable. I'm really worried if I have it re-fretted it might loose some of it's MoJo.
            I have a beater classical guitar. (Takamine). I also have a very nice Silvertone ('60's) acoustic. The bridge uses fretwire. I pulled a fret out of the beater to replace the one on the ST. First off, it was a pain in the ass to get the fret out. 2, the blade that goes onto the fretboard had nubs on it. That convinced me that I will not get a fret job done on any guitar I own. If it was like pulling teeth to get that fret out. How can new ones go in without the grooves being sloppy? A dressing sounds fine but a fret job on your baby is something I wouldn't have done.
            Last edited by fett; 05-04-2006, 03:29 PM.
            I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

The plek jobs I've seen that Gibson is doing look like ass.Its just another way gibson can take a shortcut in producing their product.The fret work looks bad IMO.You will have 1 fret that looks right and the next fret looks half the size or flat on top.If I spend $4000.00 for a guitar I want the frets done by hand not by some machine.I want to know the neck and the fretboard are straight.The plek thing doesn't do anything for me,I've played one and the neck felt really off to me.
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

They use glue when they install the frets just take a soldering iron heat the fret wire a little to loosen the glue then use a small pair of nib pliers and carefully grip the fret a take it out no big deal.Just be careful not to damage the fretboard.
                Fret work is tedious not hard take your time.The right tools make it eaiser.

Comment

Getting back to the question gouges and dings in the fret if not too deep can be removed by a fret level and polishing.I am a firm believer don't re fret the guitar until you have to.A refret is usually 150.00 to 175.00 approx and a level and polish 75.00 or so.You won't loose mojo refreting a guitar.I have refretted my fusion H-H 3 times and it just gets better.

Comment

Thanks Guys for the advice.

Sully the guy at GC doesn't do fret work the guy at my Local Sam Ash does he & I are actually friends , I was thinking someone more specific to Jackson guitars since it's My Warrior Pro with the paint job .I don't want it getting messed up.
                    Some repair places down here just don't handle equipment like they should.
                    The one guy I know could do it is in between a tour with Julio Iglesias & doing contract work for Aerosmith , so he's a no go right now.I'm gonna check the guy at Sam Ash see what he says. he builds custom guitars I know he knows his stuff , I just hate walking in there.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat
                      The plek jobs I've seen that Gibson is doing look like ass.Its just another way gibson can take a shortcut in producing their product.The fret work looks bad IMO.You will have 1 fret that looks right and the next fret looks half the size or flat on top.If I spend $4000.00 for a guitar I want the frets done by hand not by some machine.I want to know the neck and the fretboard are straight.The plek thing doesn't do anything for me,I've played one and the neck felt really off to me.
                      That actually might make sense. If the guitar is getting a plek job, they can do a really crappy job putting the fret in at the factory (some high, some low)
                      saving more time and labor cost LOL!

God I'm glad I have my Gibsons and need no more LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by straycat
                        They use glue when they install the frets just take a soldering iron heat the fret wire a little to loosen the glue then use a small pair of nib pliers and carefully grip the fret a take it out no big deal.Just be careful not to damage the fretboard.
                        Fret work is tedious not hard take your time.The right tools make it eaiser.
                        Which is exactly why I'd take it to Dan Erlewine. If I'm going to "re-shoe" my 1977 Custom, I want it done right so that it might last another 29 years until the next re-fret LOL!

Comment

Dan is a super nice guy.We have talked on the phone.
                          Another option for you is rsguitarworks in Winchester Ky they are L.P. gurus and do fretwork second to none, very reasonable pricewise too.Bob D.at RS does most of the fretwork and he is very meticulous and the finished product speaks for itself.

Comment

Hey Guys I got a local guy here who I actually have been going to for about 16 years , I never knew he did fret work he gave me a quote for refret with stainless stell for 150.00 but he it going to level the frets first & see if they can be saved. Thanks for all the insight & help guys.

Comment

You have a tech you've been using for 16 years, and you asked here first instead of him??? Mr. Obvious!
                              (just ribbin ya!)
                              My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Working...
                              X