Pickup replacement in a 650

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup replacement in a 650

Anybody tried replacing the bridge in a 650 with either a SD SCreamin' Demon or a JB? If so, how did it sound?

I find the stock Jackson pickup to be a bit light on the treble when I'm playing crunchy rhythm.

(I suppose I could just crank the treble on my rack, but then the presets are all off for my other guitars....)

Re: Pickup replacement in a 650

I put a Jackson J-80C in one of my 650xl's and it worked out great. The J-80C is hotter then the stock J-50 humbucker, sounds better to my ears (the JE1200 was gutted, btw).

Comment

I've got a JB in my Hamer Chapparal and a Distortion in my 650XL. I find the JB to be a little brighter in the top end, almost shrill. I have to roll the treble back a bit on the amp. The Distortion however, seems a little more scooped in the mids with excellent low end attack. They both have excellent harmonics. I think the JB would be a decent choice in the 650 because it doesn't seem to be as treble biased as other guitars. This might cancel it out. I would recommend the Distortion but you seem to be interested in a lower out put pickup in the JB and Demon. If you end up going with the Demon, I would be interested to hear how you like it.

Comment

I just switched to a Marshall power amp, and now I love the sound of the 650, as it is....

No new pickups for now......

Comment

Working...
        X