Cool rails in a 650XL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool rails in a 650XL

I just installed a Cool Rails in the middle position to match with a Hot Rails neck and a Distortion bridge. I have to say that this pickup rules. It is a perfect match for the high output bridge and neck pickups. It has a nice smooth lead tone without getting too muddy in the bottom. It also has a great clean sound, nice and bluesy. I would recommend this set-up for anyone looking for a VERSATILE metal guitar. I love it and I've only been playing it for an hour!

Re: Cool rails in a 650XL

I like them too Travis... [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] I have them in the neck positions of a DK2 and a Model 3...
    shawnlutz.com

Comment

Very cool! I'm glad you posted this, i've been looking for something for my 650's single spots. I'm gonna check these out! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I've always wondered about the Cool Rail, heard it was like a PAF humbucker sound. I would think the hotter pickup (Hot Rail) would be a better match in the middle with the Cool Rails in the neck. Typically, the neck should have less power than the bridge and middle positions.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I would switch them to see how that sounds if it wasn't for the need to route the middle slot for the Hot Rails. It has that little triangle piece that required the oval hole to be cut a little bit. The Cool Rails fit with no routing so they will stay the way they are. I'm very happy with them. Standard rules be damned!

Comment

I have a cool rail in the neck position
            of my Charvel CHS2 and it sounds fabulous!
            The middle P/U is vintage staggered & bridge
            is Screamin Demon HB. I also have one of the
            newer Charvel Traditional models it also has
            a cool rail P/U but it is in the middle with
            a hot rail in the neck. With that being said
            I like the cool rail better in the neck position.
            RR24M -SLATQH- 2 SLSMG's- DKMGT- 3DXMGT's
            CHS2 -Traditional- 2 SC90 Surfcasters
            Tacoma DR14 DM14 JR55
            Ibanez Artcore AM77, AF125NT,AS93

Comment

I will. I am curious myself, I never heared any comments on the lil sc demon in the neck, only the samples on the duncan site, which sound great. if it is installed (which will take some time) I will put up some comments

harrald

Comment

yesterday I ordered a secondhand lil' screaming demon for the neck of my models 6. the soundsamples on the duncan site sound good, I am curious how it will sound

harrald

Comment

Originally posted by guitar geek:
                  yesterday I ordered a secondhand lil' screaming demon for the neck of my models 6. the soundsamples on the duncan site sound good, I am curious how it will sound

harrald
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Guitar Geek: Please post how you like the Lil Screamin Demon in the neck after you install it. I have a Model 7 Tele that has a Hot Rails in the Bridge and a Hot for Jaguar in the neck. I am looking to replace the neck pickup with a Cool Rails, Lil 59 or Lil Screamin Demon.

Comment

Guys,

I'm thinking about putting in a neck and middle Cool Rails in one of my Charvel (H-S-S). Good choice? Looking for nice cleans and Strat-ish tones.
                    "You are so stupid that I am surprised you have not collapsed into a singularity of stupidity." - Anon

Comment

The main reason I opted out of getting a true single coil (I agonized over this for a while) is because of the volume difference with the high output pickups I have in the neck and bridge. No disrespect to the traditionalists, but the Cool Rails sounds pretty damn good to me. I've always thought that if I wanted that Strat sound, I would get a Strat. I think that the Cool Rails has nice clean tones to it, but it may not be what everyone is looking for.

Comment

I would think you'd want regular single coils for that, rather than the Cool Rails. Part of the point of the Cool/Hot Rails pickups is to get away from the standard Strat sound, but in a single-coil sized pickup.

Comment

Working...
                        X