Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pinch harmonics on downtuned guitars?

Hey bros,

I've settled for using 010-046 on my regular tuned guitar, but now I'm about to join a band (to play for fun), and they're tuned to D - so I put a 011-048 set on my Model 6. I've noticed that the bass strings feel too flabby, so I'm considering a 011-052 set...

But anyway, onto the point:

On the downtuned guitar, I can't get my pinch harmonics to come through on the 5th and the 6th string!?! It's not like I'm a newbie to playing either, so I do know how to make them - and I've tried all over, using my picking hand from the bridge pickup to the 24th fret! I've recently checked the intonation, and it seems to be fine (it's a little off on the 1st and the 2nd string, but not enough to make it sound bad - and those strings squeal just fine!).

Has anyone of you had similar experiences when tuning down? I'm concerned since I'm planning on going to even thicker strings (because of the flabby feel), but I'm really put off by the lack of squeals I can get from the ones I now have on.

Btw, these are Ernie Ball strings, whereas I've used Boomers and D'Addarios in the past.

nope

even with 11-52 tuned to C

but now 12-56 @ C# - screaaaams

thicker strings = louder acoustic resonance and i think this could help

and I'm using Eb's not even slinkies.

Comment

I have 11-48 string tuned to D and I can get them fine.

Comment

i find it hard to get pinch harmonics on thicker strings in general. I can usually only get them on the D and G strings

Comment

I also use EB 11-48 on my Dinky tuned to D. No problem whatsoever getting pinch harmonics.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I tune drop tuned to C# (guitars basically in drop D but instead of standard tuning its in E flat) and I use 12's. Pinched harmonics come out fine...

Thicker strings is the way to go

James

Comment

Yeah, honestly the thicker strings may well be EASIER to get pinch harmonics from, since they would be under greater tension.

Comment

Thanks a lot for your responses guys!

Seems I will have to keep fiddling with it, check the intonation again, and I will probably go to 011-052 pretty soon.

A follow-up question:
                Those setups you just described - are they on trem guitars or with fixed bridges? Type of trem? I have an OFR on mine.

Thanks for your time!

Comment

Your bridge shouldn't matter.

Comment

I got 12's tuned to C and the pinch harmonics come off nice and easy. I like how they sound much better than my E and Eb guitars (9's and Custom Lites on those)
                    THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Comment

Dig in harder.

Comment

I use 11-48 in full D or even drop C and get awesome harmonics out of the fat string.. I also find that it's easier to get 'em out of thicker strings, so it strikes me as odd to hear that it's harder.
                        I thought about doing heavy bottoms but I tried 11-48 first and was perfectly happy with that, so that's what I'm sticking with.

Comment

Thanks again everyone! I think I'll try a set of 011-052 D'Addarios and see what happens.

It really drives me nuts, because I was playing a friend's PRS (tuned to Eb with 010's) the other day, and the overtones were just jumping out of that one - just like mine did when it was still tuned to E with 010's. Suddenly the song sounded like it should - the riffs had a lot more balls. I need those harmonics!

Comment

I use 10-46 as well (drop c) and find that I have to really dig in to get em to come out. I think its due to the HZ's in my SLSMG, as I use the same setup on my strat with SD's in it, and they come flying out.

I spose it could just also be the way I play the 2 guitars though.
                            www.myspace.com/madeaband
                            www.garageband.com/artist/madea

Comment

12's tuned to drop C# on a Dinky XL (floyded)

Its fine.

James

Comment

Working...
                              X