Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FINALLY BOUGHT A SAN DIMAS I KNOW THE DIFFERENCE!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FINALLY BOUGHT A SAN DIMAS I KNOW THE DIFFERENCE!

I have been playing a model 2 Khaler for a while. I have gigged with this guitar and play everyday. I just purchased 2 charvel San Dimas guitars last week. One is a single hum Bengal and the other is a dual hum 3 way toggle. I can tell you that the only difference I can feel is that the San Dimas necks feel more worn in. They are oiled rather than finished. Both my Dimas guitars and my Jap guitar play the same. I always upgrade the pups on my jap guitars to JBs and change out the POTS. If you are looking for a good playing axe, stick with the model series! Best kept secret in the business. I will sand my Jap neck down this week and apply tongue oil to it. CHARVEL ROCKS!

Re: FINALLY BOUGHT A SAN DIMAS I KNOW THE DIFFERENCE!

Cool I am actually gonna check it out tonight. I am def gonna sand the back of the jap. Thanks for the reply rock on!

Comment

The backshape of the San Dimas neck should be a little thicker/rounder, too.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

You have stumbled onto the nasty little secret that some owners of US guitars don't want to know about, or just plain deny...

Most US made guitars DO NOT play or sound better than good quality import Jacksons or Charvels.

US guitars sometimes come with better hardware, fancier features and such...

However I have not met many US Jacksons that actually PLAY better.

My DK1 looks cool, its built very well, but it's not anymore playable then my imports.

It cost me twice what my DXMG cost, and to be honest... My Model 6 is still my best playing and sounding guitar I own. ( out of 14)

Just goes to show, doesn't matter where an axe is built, nor does spending more money get you more guitar.

[ July 22, 2003, 02:13 AM: Message edited by: 2Loud2Old ]

Comment

You are exactly right in my opinion mr. tooloud. I will even go one further and say that I prefer my model 4 over my 6 simply because I could sand the back of the neck without totally destroying the finish. That's the only problem I have with the neck-thru's, if you want to keep 'em looking good you're stuck with that shiny sticky neck finish.
          my 2 cents.
          My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

I must really be oblivious to the neck subject as this is an interesting topic that has been covered alot. I actually am not bothered whether or not the neck is finished or not. I've tried them both ways and I can see a difference between them but not enough to think that "wow' the finished neck is much more uncomfortable than unfinished". Oh well, I guess it's just a matter of preference really. Just my 2 cents... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Dave->
            Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

I think it has more to do with HOW the neck is finished as opposed to if it simply is or isn't.

Comment

As some people here already said, the import Charvels (and maybe also import Jacksons) can take it with many US-made guitars, if I look at my 750XL, it has the same hardware as the US ones, US-made pickups, nice woods and all. As for the neck finish, I sometimes seem to be the only one who prefers highgloss finished necks.

Comment

The "neck finish" issue is strictly a matter of personal preference. Play what feels right to YOU. I just personally like the feel of an unfinished or sanded neck over a glossy one. Dave, if I get the 5 from you I plan on experimenting with the neck finish. The whole thing needs a refin anyway so it will be a cool project.
                  My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Hello all.
                    Well the neck finish is not that critical to me I have 2 model 2's with sanded necks 1 with a scalloped fretboard and both are great playing guitars.A model 1 with the original gloss finish that plays just as good.Also a model6 I picked up yesterday for $223.00 with a perfect grey charvel case that is absolutly a stellar playing guitar even with the painted neck.All play just as well as my 87 usa jackson bolt on strat.
                    The model series guitars are the best deal barr none.If you are in a pawn shop/music store and there are any of the model series charvels hanging there buy em'.Most of the time all they need is a good cleaning a set up and your ready to rock.The model series guitars are so solid most of the time the necks dont even need a adjustment
                    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                    X