Surfcaster value discrepancies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surfcaster value discrepancies

Anybody have any idea why some charvel surfcasters go for 325 and others go for over a grand? I have been unable to pinpoint it to condition, color, pickup configuration (H-S vs S-S) or to bridge type. Is it random or do some of them have something special that others don't?

Re: Surfcaster value discrepancies

I'd like to know the same thing. Anyone here a Surfcaster "pro"? There's something else that makes me wonder: I've played a couple of them and I wasn't really impressed by their quality of construction, tone, or playability. Sorry, but if I wanted that type of guitar I'd have to save a few more bucks and buy an old Ric.
    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

There were several different eras in which this model came out. It seems that the original Surfcasters are the most sought after because they consist of the finer appointments: body, neck, headstock binding, genuine MOP inlays, matching headstocks, lip stick tube pickups, and fulcrum trems. The versions that followed lacked some of these features. And color has a lot to do with it too. The surf green and daphne blue seem to attract high attention. The last Surfcasters are the Jackson logoed ones, and they just don't seem to be as hot as the original Charvels. I sold my Surfcaster Double Neck flamed top for $2500 and was quite pleased:

And some people think I over-charge on my listings! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
      "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
      Gotta get away from here.
      Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
      Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

I think it's the color, all the real pricey ones (the double neck excluded) that I saw seem to be seafoam green.

Comment

It does seem a bit crazy to see the colour of the guitar increase its value 2 or 3 times!

But check out these two black ones:
          http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=33044

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=33044

One of them went for more than double the other one. It ain't the condition, and it ain't the bridge because I've seen many vibrato ones fetch more than identical "C" tailpiece ones. Doubt it's the pickup config either

And then you have this one:
          http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=2384
          listed at $550 which is identical to the one that went for $750, has more and much better pics yet it gets no bids!

wild wacky stuff

Comment

That's the beauty of Ebay; you get the best deals when others are "asleep" or you come upon the listing right after it came out and the seller has underpriced out of ignorance of the value, or desperation for cash.
            Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

The early 90's ones are the best. I had 3 at one point..a trans orange top, surf green, and one of the Jackson trans-ivory nodels. I have kept the green one, but I replaced the lipstick pickups with Duncan Jr's and it is way more versatile now. The lipstick pickups were pretty limiting. I also replaced the tuners with Grovers with the vintage keystone knobs for more vintage vibe.

Comment

Yeah, if there's a weak point on a Surfcaster, it's the tuning machines. Though they're very tasty in a vintage vibe sort of way, the engineering is a little TOO vintage...it's easy to pull your **** out of tune if you're a heavy touch player like I am.

I replaced the ones on the black "C" tailpiece one with some Grovers that a friend gave me, and am shopping around for new ones for the Seafoam/Whammy one.

They're not TERRIBLE machines, but like I said, they're not the best. Only ***** I have with either of them.

Comment

I have a double lipstick/vibrato on the way, i'm already looking for some hot rails or jb jrs or lil 59's [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

can you point me to a link with a picture of the grovers w/ vintage keystone knobs. did you have to drill new holes?

Comment

Jerry, check the guitars album in this webshots link. Fortunately, the mounting holes matched up fine. But I did have to bore the tuning machine holes out just a little for the grovers. Not a big deal.

http://community.webshots.com/user/surfdork

Comment

There used to be a guy named Phil from Illinois that had "Phil's Surfcaster Page" on the web. It's gone now, but I learned most of what I know about Surfcasters from Phil.

I have two...a 90 seafoam green with the whammy bridge (and original whammy bar, making it really desireable) and a black 91 with the trapeze bridge and the humbucker. Love em both.

If you're looking for a Surfcaster, look for the following features, they're a starting indication that you have a quality piece:

Sharkfin F Hole
                      Shark inlays
                      Gumby Headstock (slanted like the top of Gumby's head, and the Toothpaste Logo will be parallel to the length of the neck, not perpendicular across the top)
                      Either a whammy bridge or the trapeze bridge.

Later Surfcasters came out with no F hole, and some even with dot inlays. These were said by Phil to be inferior...I dunno, never played one.

It's my understanding that the earlier ones came out of the custom shop...anyone know this for certain?

Even later ones say "Jackson" on them. There's one hanging in a local music store that looks like such a sorry piece of dung that I haven't the heart to even pick it up.

But as far as value, the seafoam green, the greenburst and the natural maple with the maple fingerboard and ebony inlays seem to be the most desireable...though the black one and the 'fireburst' are no slouches either!

Depends on what you're gonna use them for. I play mainly in an alternative cover band...the black one with the humbuckers is my main toy. The green one with the dual lipsticks...it just doesn't have enough bite when i need it to do heavy stuff, but it's great for stuff like BNL, that's more melodic and less crunchy. If I knew where I could get a high-output lipstick, I'd be all over that in a heartbeat.

BTW...I'm lookin' for a Surfcaster Doubleneck...

Comment

Try http://www.stewmac.com

They have just about anything you'd need.

I had to drill out my headstock on my black one too...THAT was scary, cuz I did it with a hand held cordless drill... each hole I was sweatin' b'b's.... but it turned out GREAT.

Surfdork, I can see why you'd replace the stock lipsticks, but I gotta say, the looks lose so much without those shiny chrome tubes... I have a JB Jr. at the bridge of my Charvel ST Custom, and love it. However, I can't bring myself to lose the tubes on my seafoam Surfcaster (identical to yours). Doesn't ANYONE make a high output lipstick P/U? Does anyone know of someone who will make a custom one?

Comment

It does lose a little aesthetically, but tone wise it is a night and day difference. The good thing is that there was no modding of the pickguard done, so the original pickups can go back in anytime. I got the Grovers from Stew-Mac.

[ July 22, 2003, 03:30 PM: Message edited by: surfdork ]

Comment

Well I received mine yesterday, and as Steve Irwin would say "isn't she a beauty mate"

How does the roller nut work?

Comment

Sa-weet!

Comment

Working...
                              X