Custom Shop scallop tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Shop scallop tool

Skimming through Jackson's custom shop pages, i found a couple of photo's showing how Jackson now does its scallop jobs. Thought i'd post it here.

As a DIY'er i find it cool that Jackson Custom Shop is still experimenting with the scallop tools. It looks like something i could have hacked together in my garage - i bet it takes a skilled person to run that machine:

Henrik
    AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

I don´t think that´s an experiment, I was taught to do scallops the same way

Comment

Okay, but the text for the photo's said something like "dude experimenting with new scallop tool" or something like that
      :-)
      Henrik

Comment

oh zerb, can you explain what that grind-rod is exactly? Stone-rod? A custom made tool for this exact application or taken from what trade... carpenter tool?
        Henrik

Comment

Looks like a dowel with emery cloth wrapped around it, and a socket or short pice of pipe to hold the free end, though it might be more elaborate.

Comment

Originally posted by dg
            Looks like a dowel with emery cloth wrapped around it, and a socket or short pice of pipe to hold the free end, though it might be more elaborate.
            No, believe it or not this is essentially what it is, or at least what I was taught to do it with

I´ve seen people chuck rattail files into their drill for the same effect, btw...

Comment

hmmm.... single hum, 24 fret, black w/ yellow bevels Rhoads. Another Sinergy fan?
              Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG
                hmmm.... single hum, 24 fret, black w/ yellow bevels Rhoads. Another Sinergy fan?
                Alexi Laiho to be more exact. But the guitar sure kicks ass!

Comment

Originally posted by Nazgul
                  Alexi Laiho to be more exact.
                  thanks for clearing that up :ROTF:

I was trying to avoid flat out saying it was for another Laiho fanboy. Don't see many of them around here
                  Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG
                    thanks for clearing that up :ROTF:

I was trying to avoid flat out saying it was for another Laiho fanboy. Don't see many of them around here
                    thank god

Comment

I would hate having that job. Think of all the manpower put into that neckthrough guitar prior to that final scallop job. You mess it up and you have 5-6 custom shop guys behind you giving you the evil eye. And the customer!? -Hey sorry matey, we had a little prob, guitar is not ready tomorrow, going to build another one for ya' ... from scratch... how about a new delivery date 1 year from now... sounds okay?...

That scallop guy should be paid extra danger money!
                      Last edited by jackson1; 05-02-2006, 09:09 AM.
                      Henrik

Comment

Originally posted by jackson1
                        I would hate having that job. Think of all the manpower put into that neckthrough guitar prior to that final scallop job. Your mess it up and you have 5-6 custom shop guys behind you giving you the evil eye. And the customer!? -Hey sorry matey, we had a little prob, guitar is not ready tomorrow, going to build another one for ya' ... from scratch... how about a new delivery date 1 year from now... sounds okay?...

That scallop guy should be paid extra danger money!
                        Just what I was thinking when I saw the pic.
                        Last edited by Nazgul; 05-02-2006, 10:03 AM.

Comment

the same could be said at many stages of the guitar's build. Imagine having all of that great work done by the other guys in the shop and it's your job to do the frets. Make a complete meal of one fret, chew up the fretboard whilst replacing, feel the deadly glares poking holes in your back.

But even if the scallop guy screwed up, it wouldn't necessarily require a complete rebuild - just a new fretboard. Or a bunch of wood glue & a handful of ebony dust
                          Hail yesterday

Comment

Just pull the fretboard.
                            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Dremel's contour sander works really well and is most likely a little bit easier on the neck than this tool shown. I'm surprised they haven't come up with a CNC tool yet. Warmoth has got a CNC setup for doing scallops.
                              Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Working...
                              X