Help me identify this please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me identify this please

Talking to a pawn shop, and they indicated they have a Charvel (by Jackson)guitar with the following setup: maple neck with "curvy headstock", Floyd Rose (licensed, I'm sure), 2 humbuckers, one single coil, serial number is 000954, with no other model indications on the guitar.

Is this a CX of some sort, or what is it?

BTW, price is $299 CDN

Re: Help me identify this please

Depends on what he means by "curvy headstock". What kind of logo is on it.

By the description so far it could be a CX391

But the model name should be on the headstock.
    Occupy JCF

Comment

Correction on the details..... apparently the fretboard is rosewood, and the "Floyd" is a non-locking variety with fine tuners.

The logo is a toothpaste logo, with no model number indicated.

Help?

Comment

Your really gona need a pic. lots of things sound odd about that guitar.

I cant recall any H/S/H Charvels.
        The "curvy" headstock Charvels had the guitar logo in most cases.
        The SN just doesn't fit. (it's in the same format as a 91 Jackson bolton).

Comment

I agree with Tekky...Model CX391 as per this:
          http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=2384
          This has the Charvel branding non-locking trem and the "curvy" headstock, the pickups you described, and the serial numbers starting with "00....".

Regarding the $299CDN price ($213USD), I would say not good, as the one above in ebay sold for $150, and there is a similar model w/1HB 2 singles on ebay for current bid of $50 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=33044

Personally, I would stay away from the CX series. I think they came out of Korea when the 'model series' was coming out of Japan. Save your money for a Model 2 or 3 or 4 or a Model 375 or 475.

PS. if the guitar is not like the ones in these ebay pics, then you'll have to give us a lot more on the description to help ya!

Comment

Well if the "curvy headstock" is like the pseudo strat headstock, they came with the guitar shaped logo...
            Occupy JCF

Comment

Originally posted by MountainDog:
              I agree with Tekky...Model CX391 as per this:
              http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=2384
              This has the Charvel branding non-locking trem and the "curvy" headstock, the pickups you described, and the serial numbers starting with "00....".
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Well damn... the last few CX charvels I saw had the guitar logo.

I'll go back to my Model guitars now [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

If I get a chance, I'll go to the pawn shop to see it..... I'm rapidly losing interest.....

we'll see.

Comment

If its a CX391 Its made in Japan and is a sweet axe. I have one and its killer. Well worth the 100 bucks i paid for it. The trem is well balanced, the tone is great ( needed pup swap).
                  The neck is similar to amiodel series neck and is very fast and solid feeling. Ive never had an issue with this guitar at all. and its always in tune after being left for along time.
                  Gil

Comment

I agree, wouldn't hurt to try it out if it's not to much of a hassle just to get an idea of what they're like. That leaves you open so can scope other sources for a better price if you like, but that price is high.

Pawnshops are a crapshoot, some things they can really undervalue just to move it as they can't seem to ID it properly from a blue book.

I personally would choose a Heartfield over something like this if you're getting in the neighborhood of Ibanez strat style and do not want Ibanez. In May, there was two model 4's, very nice axes going for 200.00 a piece.. which is a steal you won't find to often.

[ July 18, 2003, 09:01 AM: Message edited by: charvelguy ]

Comment

Working...
                    X