Model 3 or 4?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model 3 or 4?

OK, I am going to be buying a Model Series tomorrow, I am just not sure if it's a Model 3 or Model 4. It has a bolt-on neck, two singles and a humbucker, three PUP toggle switches, "guitar" shaped logo. It has dot inlays instead of the sharkfins that I have seen on a lot of Model 4's. What is it?

Re: Model 3 or 4?

Hey Ace!
    Good morning, that my friend is a Model 4. It should have the preamp with the midboost too if it's all original.

Good luck!

Dave->
    Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

and, of course, we'll be waiting for pics once you get it !! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Charvel Model series - maybe the most underrated and unappreciated guitars out there. Thankfully, they are very affordable (now), so those of us who know and love can scoop them up, without damaging the bank account too much!

Look forward to seeing the latest addition to your family! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Sweet!! It should be mine this afternoon. I didn't open the electronics cavity, but it had the original Jackson pickups in there, so I imagine it still has the midboost. Pics will come as soon as I get to a puter where I can get them off my camera. My main puter is busted, and I'm borrowing my friend's laptop, which only has Win95.

Comment

Congrats man - the 4 is a sweet guitar! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img] I've got two of them and it's hard to resist buying more. Which bridge does your have - flush or recessed?

Comment

????

I believe the model 4 only had a flat mounted tremolo. I think the only recessed tremolos were on the Model 3DR or the 5s and 6s...

(I could be wrong though wouldn't be the first time)
            Occupy JCF

Comment

All Models 2,3,4,5,6 all are flat mount trems.

If you see a recessed trem, you do not have a Model series guitar, or you have a heavily modded one.

Also, stock trem would either be a Kahler in 86, or a Jackson JT6 for 87 onwards.

I know most of you know this already. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Never seen a 3DR in person so I can't comment on
              that.

Most desirable Model series guitars (in my opinion)

Model 3DR Firecrackle
              Model 4 Firecrackle w/ Sharkfins.
              Model 6 Firecrackle

Notice a trend here? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Hmmmm, were there two types of bridges used on the 4? Maybe "recessed" is the wrong choice of words as it's not routed for the back end of the bridge, but it's a model 4 - bolt-on with three toggles and HSS. The Kahler bolts directly into the body and the other one is a Jackson licensed Floyd. And both look to be factory installed. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

Ahhhh, looks like 2Loud2Old answered my question while I was typing it. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

The Kahler trem is installed in a big rout on the front of the guitar. There would be no rear trem cavity if the guitar was an 86 with a Kahler.

A Floyd or traditional trem needs the cavity for spring tension.

A Kahler doesn't because it uses its own internal float mechanism.

Comment

Yeah, it was just a poor choice of words on my part - I didn't get much sleep last night! [img]graemlins/sleep.gif[/img]

So the question should be - Kahler or Jackson/Floyd?

Comment

Originally posted by 2Loud2Old:
                        All Models 2,3,4,5,6 all are flat mount trems.

If you see a recessed trem, you do not have a Model series guitar, or you have a heavily modded one.

Also, stock trem would either be a Kahler in 86, or a Jackson JT6 for 87 onwards.

I know most of you know this already. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Never seen a 3DR in person so I can't comment on
                        that.

Most desirable Model series guitars (in my opinion)

Model 3DR Firecrackle
                        Model 4 Firecrackle w/ Sharkfins.
                        Model 6 Firecrackle

Notice a trend here? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">OK, then I am correcting my statement. The model 3DR is the only Model series Charvel to have a recessed tremolo. I do have a Model 3DR (in orange Firecrackle [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] )
                        Occupy JCF

Comment

Originally posted by TEKKY:
                          </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by 2Loud2Old:

Most desirable Model series guitars (in my
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">OK, then I am correcting my statement. The model 3DR is the only Model series Charvel to have a recessed tremolo. I do have a Model 3DR (in orange Firecrackle [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] ) </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yes, he does have one, and I sold it to him. He's right about the recessed trem. 3DR has 'em. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                          Dana &lt;~~~
                          '85 Rhoads Custom
                          '86 SD Str*t
                          '86 Model 4 (5)
                          '87 Model 1
                          '87 Model 6
                          '88 Model 3DR
                          '90 650 XL
                          '94 KE-3
                          '97 DR Amberburst
                          '97 Dinky BOFlames
                          '05 SD Copperhead

Comment

Damm Gimmie... [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I'm on a quest to obtain an example of the finest 80's finish ever invented.. FIRECRACKLE.

Currently, I have none of them.. and no cash

So... I've a bit to go before I reach my goal [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

Guess I know where to come next time I find one of these babies. Actually, the one I sold to Todd is the only Firecrackle that I have ever found in a pawnshop...and they didn't let it go very cheap, either.
                              Dana &lt;~~~
                              '85 Rhoads Custom
                              '86 SD Str*t
                              '86 Model 4 (5)
                              '87 Model 1
                              '87 Model 6
                              '88 Model 3DR
                              '90 650 XL
                              '94 KE-3
                              '97 DR Amberburst
                              '97 Dinky BOFlames
                              '05 SD Copperhead