Painting Dust Control?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting Dust Control?

Grrrrrr I hate dust. Being a perfectionist doesn't help either! Nasty trait! Most of the dust that ends up on the guitars I paint are not readily seen by the naked eye. I usually use 5X magnifier to inspect the surface of the paint.
    Painters what do you do for dust control? I've got a large Honeywell whole house type air cleaner and I wet my spray booth (which is completely enclosed, filtered and vented to the outside) down. I Wear painters white coveralls and even wet myself down before entering the booth. Damn dust, especially fustrating when doing black! I can't seem to control the darned stuff.
    Anybody see what Charvel/Jackson uses for a booth? I've seen Martin guitars and there was nothing too special about their process. I may also have some type of static electricity going on that may attract dust to the guitar I'm painting.
    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

first thing i was gonna say was wet it down, but you do that already. my other suggestion would be to never paint guitars white.
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I just did a Polaris white Gibson in acrylic lacquer. It's looking very good. The problem is with the black clear coated headstock face. I think with headstocks, I'll be going back to aerosol cans. Less air movement that way. Damn! I hate dust! I need a zapper that zaps dust like a bug zapper. But, that might blowup my paint booth!

Oh yea, I should mention. I'm using Nitro on the headstock. If I use to much water in the booth, I get "blushing". Then I have to get out my "Blushing eraser" or blushing retarder as some call it. It's a real catch 22 with Nitro lacquer.
      Last edited by Bengal65; 04-26-2006, 11:12 AM.
      Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

i've decided to use a nice gloss latex and a roller for the next project.
        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
        Sully Guitars on Facebook
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

My advice? ...
          Don't be so anal.
          A 5X magnifier to inspect your paintjobs?
          Are you serious?

Sounds like you've already taken alot of precautions to avoid the avoidable dust particles. A majority of whatever dust particles DO make their way onto your finish will be sanded and buffed out anyway.

Just my .02

Comment

Originally posted by sully
            i've decided to use a nice gloss latex and a roller for the next project.
            That's an idea! I wonder how it buffs out!

"My advice? ...
            Don't be so anal.
            A 5X magnifier to inspect your paintjobs?
            Are you serious?"

Yea, crazy isn't it. I get a lot of great comments on my paint jobs. But, my Doctor told me to take it easy. My perfectionism will be the death of me. When I inspect the Charvels and Jackson paint work it kills me. Just flawless. Better than Gibson can do on a good day!

Comment

That doctor wouldn't happen to be a psychiatrist, would he?
              I'm not Ron!

Comment

Or as Ricky would say, "a fisi-kia-trist" But ,Lucy, Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.....

Comment

Originally posted by Racerx2k
                  That doctor wouldn't happen to be a psychiatrist, would he?
                  No, general prac. Gotta get that blood pressure down!

Comment

LOL. Mine usually runs to the low side. Makes getting up, fast, lots of fun. (Ka-thump. I'm on the floor!)
                    I'm not Ron!

Comment

Wow! Man, if you think Charvels and Jacksons have "flawless" paint jobs, you're magnifying glass must not be as powerful as you think it is.
                      In the painting world, there is no such word as "Flawless". It's just absolutely not possible. Any paint job can be nit picked. The reason you're probably thinking that the headstock looked worse is because there's a much smaller surface area there to view, so the little things are more prominent. So, don't beat yourself up over the little shit. I can almost guarantee you I'm much more picky than you when it comes to paint, but I know what to live with and what not to. It's all relative!!
                      Now get back in there and make some fumes!!!
                      My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

mm2002, Thanks, I needed that! I've just done 5 guitars since November. I need a break. The SG is curing, so I'll post pics when I finish her up. I think I may have found one the problems. My HVLP mini gun had the little hole in the lid plugged up halfway through my painting of the headstock top and was blowing excess air and not paint (one of the drawbacks of gravity feed guns). It was blowing some of the white paint "dust" off the opposite side of the paint booth. Once, I got everything cleaned up I was shooting the Behlens Stringed Instrument lacquer like Butta! It flows real nice through the mini Devillbis.

Comment

So there ya go.
                          My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

get an ionic breeze.

Comment

Working...
                            X