FR Bridge Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FR Bridge Question

I like to tinker around with things on my guitars almost as much as I like to play them. OK, MAYBE I like to tinker more sometimes. No way to know if you like or don't like unless you try it out for a while.

I have a DX10D. I got a FR Fast Loader bridge for it-Not the Speed Loader, if there's a big difference between them I am unedumacated about that. The thought of not having to clip off strings sounded appealing to me at the time.

I put the Fast Loader in and restring. The action seemed to become lighter and easier to press and bend strings. However, the freakin thing just didn't want to stay in tune. Not way off but enough to matter. I'm not sure if it is the nature of the Fast Loader or the fact that I tend to use GHS Boomers when trying new setups. Those strings are crap for staying in tune. Not knowing to blame the Fast Loader, the Boomers, or both, I popped the stock FR back in and restrung with EB's. It seems to stay in tune just fine now but the action is not nearly as responsive as with the Fast Loader rig. Gauge of strings on both setups were 09-42.

Any feedback on this? Anyone else try the Fast Loader? If so, did you have tuning probs or no?
    In an insane world, only the sane seem crazy.

Well a fastloader will definatley come out of tune easier than a double locking trem, because of just that, the string isnt locked at the bridge. Nature of the beast really. If your set on using that bridge, you can lightly solder the winding of the strings to elimate any chance of them unraveling... supposedly works well for Kahlers.
    Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Thanks much for the input. It is much appreciated. I sort of figured it may be due to the FL but didn't want to assume too much.

I'm not dead set on either yet. Like most, what I prefer is the best of both and I am uncertain how to go about getting it, if it can be gotten. LOL! I like the action better with the FL but can't put up with constantly hitting the fine tuners to keep it in tune. The stock bridge stays in tune nicely but the action is a bit stiffer. Maybe due to the shorter string length between locks than the FL?

I will probably try tossing a set of 08's on it when it's restring time just to see if that helps. If not, I will reinstall the FL and try applying light solder to string windings as you suggested. Sounds like it has possibilities. And it's something I would have never thought of. Thanks again!!! Even if that doesn't work out so well, it's not a deal breaker for me. I can live with the stock bridge setup just fine if need be.

Comment

The only reason why I can think of it feeling "easier" with the speedloader is because of the strings not being locked in there, and theyre stretching at the windings? Thats the only thing I can think of that would affect that, because if you set up the springs the same as you did with your origional bridge, there shouldnt be much diffence.
        Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

I will recheck the spring tension. Bridge is level (neck to heel) and in tune as is. String height is 2.0 @ 12th fret for low E and 1.5 @ 12th fret for high E - Same as it was with the FL. I try to maintain this as at least a consistant starting point, especially when swapping out hardware. From there I can fine tune it according to allowances versus preferences. Thanks again for the info and reply.

Comment

Originally posted by T@rgetDrone
            I'm not sure if it is the nature of the Fast Loader or the fact that I tend to use GHS Boomers when trying new setups. Those strings are crap for staying in tune.
            Hey now... don't go rippin' on the Boomers.
            That's all I use and never had any issues with them.
            They do take a few minutes to break them in, but I never had any tuning issues with them.
            Fast Loaders i.e., not a real Floyd Speedloader, are single locking and slip like a Mo Fo. This will also kill your sustain as there is no solid contact with the sustain block.
            -Rick

Comment

All the "fastloaders" I´ve used were honestly a POS compared to even a JT-500 (which is already a POS)... the missing bridge lock seemingly killed both sustain and tuning stability, likely because of not a solid enough contact between string and bridge saddle.

Seriously, I´d rather use a 30$ Mighty Mite Single locking trem... OH, waitaminit

The FR Speedloader on the other hand is a great bridge, works well... they just don´t make decent string guages for them, only Florist´s wire like 9s and 10s, I think I´ve seen 11s once so far...

Originally posted by RobRR
              The only reason why I can think of it feeling "easier" with the speedloader is because of the strings not being locked in there, and theyre stretching at the windings? Thats the only thing I can think of that would affect that, because if you set up the springs the same as you did with your origional bridge, there shouldnt be much diffence.
              Actually the bridge geometry makes a world of difference. Schallers for example are less responsive than OFRs by design, meaning they also don´t go out of tune as much on bends and feel "stiffer" on the same bend... this is due to the longer distance between bridge pivot point and actual intonated saddle, about 1/16 more than on an OFR... Side note, this phenomenon is part of the reason that many low end manufacturers use a Schaller Knockoff instead of a Takeuchi or other OFR copy, the more "sluggish" response makes the guitar feel more similar to an hardtail than an OFR, generally equating to less frustration for people that don´t use the trem much
              Last edited by Zerberus; 04-26-2006, 05:58 AM.

Comment

After reading these responses and doing some noodling around with the FL I have come to the conclusion that is was bad implementation of a good idea. Granted I like light to XL gauge strings (09 and 08). But 08's on the stock DL Trem stay in tune fine even WITH the Boomers. I stayed up until nearly 6:30 this moring playing around with this (i can be relentless). I also went through some string too But that 's the cheap part of the game.

Going by this latest posted info by y'all and my decision to ditch the FL, would it be, in your opinions, worth exploring the Speedloader option? I really do like the more slingy action with the FL but I can't live with the inconsistant tuning issue (light solder to the string windings was only mildly effect at best). The Speed loader string gauge thing isn't a problem for me. I almost always use 09's, if not 08's, and seldom 10's.

Comment

The only issue you will have if you went to a real Floyd Speedloader is a the routing that will need to be done to the neck for the Speedloader nut.
                  Make sure you love it before you do it.
                  Go find a shop that sells FR guitars with a Speedloader on it and try it out first.
                  -Rick

Comment

Schaller FR and OFR do sound different the Schaller seems a bit bassier(fatter) than the OFR maybe the larger base plate.Just a thought.
                    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

With the pup combo, speakers and cabs I'm using I can afford a little more natural deepness for sound. With the mix of those (or mess for the name brand anal. it IS unorthodox to say the least) I can always lean on the adjustments to add high end. So I will now explore and consider the Schaller as well.

Without going into major surgery seems like my choices so far for bridge swaps are:

*Fastloader - it's shelved-won't stay in tune for **** but i REALLY like the more slinky/sloppy action with it on. GRRRRRRR
                      *Speedloader - gotta try it first before i go modding the neck.
                      *OFR - better quality but no better performance than the 580lp in my opinion
                      *Schaller - no experience w/their bridges so far. love their staplock sys
                      *Keep the 580lp - i could live with it but what would be the fun in that?

I'm in school on this one with the 580lp options-My first Jackson. So I welcome ALL input and opinions. I'd rather make an informed decision than wear a blindfold in traffic.

I also would like to say that you guys n gals in this online community really do have something special going on. It is quite refreshing!

Comment

Well to be honest I have a 92 fusion H-H with the 580 lp and it has performed flawlessly.The guitar has been gigged to death,had numerous pickup combinations, even an OFR for a while.But right now the old JT 580 is back in (new floyd studs)The only part to wear out was the pivot studs the base plate and knife edges are still perfect.I just can't dog a JT580lp or the early 90s Jackson pros.Simply fantastic guitars.
                        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Because I like to do things that pop into my head and I have two fast-loaders, why wouldn't I just tie a knot or two just above the weave? In my thinking, that would freeze the the string above the knot. Maybe knot, but I care not. It's worth a shot.
                          I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Neat idea! But I'd prolly tie the knot too loose and the strings would pull out of tune on me as the knot tightened. That and/or I'd end up snapping the string from the knot stress. Do I really think this will work? I'm "a frayed knot!" :ROTF:

Comment

Working...
                            X