Model 3 - What's it worth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model 3 - What's it worth?

Hi, I want to get your opinions on the value, age and quality of a Model 3 that has been described to me as:

2 x single coil pickups plus 1 humbucker near the bridge, bolt on maple neck, rosewood fretboard, Floyd Rose trem, ser# 300948, Fort Worth Texas.
    pink finish, black hardware. I am told good condition.
    No case.
    My daughter (age 13) wants to buy it. I will check it out personally of course, but would like your feedback as I am not familiar with Charvel guitars and I would not like to see her ripped off.

Are there fakes out there - any particular faults I should look for?

Thanks

Re: Model 3 - What\'s it worth?

Given the market value of Model 3's, it would be VERY unlikely that anyone would try to fake one. The Model 3 is a made in Japan guitar. Real wood body and generally very good necks. The pickups are adequate and the build quality is good.

Market value? Depends on the quality of the guitar. If I were looking at a Model 3, I'd probably pay no more than $200US. Check Ebay, that'll give you a better idea of what they are currently selling for.

Comment

Yeah, I'm a big fan of Jackson pickups also. It just depends on the particular sound you want. I have different pickups in different guitars and I like them all for their own sound.
      Nice 3A you have their!! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Dave->
      Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

I love those 3A's! That's a nice one you got there! [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Comment

Don't get me wrong, I still have a 650 Custom with the original Jackson pickups, with no intention of switching them. However, in other guitars, they weren't my favourite and I switched them out.

Perhaps "adequate" has more of a negative conotation than I meant to imply.

Comment

Jackson pups always sound alot better once you get rid of the plastic cover.

give it a go, then re-evaluate. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

is that true? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] well I will give it a shot, because I hate the ones in my charvel!

Anyway, topicstarter: I think it is pretty nive guitar for your daughter to start with! nice quality especially for the money you pay!!

Harrald

Comment

Thanks for the information, I'll check what's on ebay, as well as the Model 3 on offer.

Comment

Honestly It's hard to put a market value on it. I paid $299 for my 3A in MINT shape and a generic hard case.

The one your looking at is probably a '88. Awsome quality, you would have to pay $6-800+ to get a new guitar of that quality. Right now they can go from $200 -$400.

I dont think anyone will fake a Import Charvel... no reason to.

My 3A

Comment

Originally posted by redmanjj:
                    The pickups are adequate
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Adequate???? Jackson pickups rock! IMHO

Comment

How do you define better (by removing the cover on the Jackson pickup)? If I had one complaint, I'd say I didn't like the highs (or lack thereof) from the bridge humbucker in my 650 Custom.

Comment

If i'm not mistaken, removing the cover off of a Jackson humbucker increases it's output by 9 dB or something around there. Therefore, you would have a "hotter" humbucker.

[ July 05, 2003, 06:11 PM: Message edited by: john ]

Comment

I just bought a model 3a neck and body from ebay for under $100. Well it's everything but the tuners, bridge, jack, cover plates, neck plate and strap buttons. I think this is going to be my dream guitar if I ever get it finished. It must be a pretty versatile guitar with two tappable humbuckers. Does anyone out there have any spare parts?

Comment

Working...
                          X