Project Charvel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project Charvel

Hello new to this forum. Searching for information on a project I just picked up, you may have seen it on e-bay. It is an import Charvel, about an 89 I'd guess from what I've seen of the serial number listings, it is dark pink in color and is cut for a HSS set up, one volume, one tone and 3 mini switches. I'm wondering what model it is and any other genreal information. New To Charvels have started fixing guitars as a hobby, wife won't let me play with cars anymore, and this is the latest addition. Thanks in advance for any information

Re: Project Charvel

might be either a model 4 or a 6.
    the 4 is a strat, 21 frets, bolt on neck
    the 6 is a soloist: neck through, 24 frets.

which one is it?

edit: oh no, no model 6, cuz it has 3 knobsoh, but on the other hand, wasn't cherry black reserved for both the 5 and the 6???? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Harald

[ July 02, 2003, 03:08 PM: Message edited by: guitar geek ]

Comment

Do you have any pics? Or maybe you could point us to the auction that had the pics?

Dave->
      Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

It is a 22 fret bolt on neck, reverse headstock, guitar shaped logo. Underneath the Charvel it says by Jackson/Charvel. Here is the link to the site: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=41406
        I'm planning on refinishing it. Probably not the same pink though, too hard to find. It also has an original Floyd Rose and a Sure Claw tremelo spring tension adjuster that looks factory.

Comment

Well, I hate to be the one to tell you but I think that's a Kramer body. Here's another just like it:
          Kramer Body

Let me ask you something, have you strung that up yet? The reason I'm asking is I'm wondering if that can be intonated properly as I'm not sure what scale that body is supposed to be. Can you measure from the nut(edge side of nut closest to bridge) to the 12th fret and then measure from the 12th fret to the bridge where the strings lay on the saddles. Let me know what those measurements are ok?

Dave->

[ July 02, 2003, 08:04 PM: Message edited by: budman68 ]
          Dave ->

Comment

I have the guitar in pieces at the moment so not able to measure much of anything. Compsring pictures it does look real close to the Kramer body except the pattern of the switches is different. I'll find out when I put it back together I guess.

Comment

Actually thats a decent Kramer Focus 6000 body.

It should work well with the Charvel neck, as it was designed for 22 frets.

(Kramer Barettas, Focus series, Pacers all have the same scale as Jackson)

At the very least you got yourself a decent "mutt" with a real floyd.

You could always turn a profit by parting it out.

Congrats anyways. [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

[ July 03, 2003, 12:07 AM: Message edited by: 2Loud2Old ]

Comment

Well according to 2loud, you should be in good shape( I don't know much about Kramers)! I agree with him too as far as parting it out and selling it. You would easily get your money back if you had your heart set on a real Charvel.

Good luck!

Dave->
                Dave ->

Comment

I believe that's a Pacer body.. (I'm hoping it is..) I have one for sale on 'daBay as well. I was informed that it is built for a 22 fret neck...
                  Occupy JCF

Comment

Thanks for all the information. I'm trying to decide what to do. I may pick up a Kramer neck and a Charvel body. It will all end up on e-bay someday.

Comment

I have a Focus 6000. That body certainly looks like mine.
                      Dana <~~~
                      '85 Rhoads Custom
                      '86 SD Str*t
                      '86 Model 4 (5)
                      '87 Model 1
                      '87 Model 6
                      '88 Model 3DR
                      '90 650 XL
                      '94 KE-3
                      '97 DR Amberburst
                      '97 Dinky BOFlames
                      '05 SD Copperhead

Comment

It's unlikely its a Pacer.

The reason being is the jack plate. In the photos you can clearly see where the jackplate was, as well as the 4 screw holes.

Pacers and Barettas did not use jackplates, They only used the Switchcraft cannon jack exclusively.

Focus bodies, while very similar to the "American Series" Kramers, used traditional square Jack plates.

Another clue is the giant hole for the jack, again Pacers and Barettas have a much, much smaller hole.. just big enough for the cannon jack

I'm 99.5% possitive thats a Focus 6000 body.

In any case, its a good solid body.

Sell the neck and body, get a floyd for free! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

I just noticed a tremblocker with routed tabs mounted in the cavity.

This is important because these were found on American Series Kramers from 1987.. not Focus Series.. ( I have it on one of my Barettas)

The Jack route and Jack plate marks don't belong on a Pacer tho.. so I'm a little confused now.

I've asked some more knowledgable people so I should find out soon.

At this point, I'm starting to think Pacer Custom, with a modified Jack. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

Hey Dana, does YOURS have the tremblock device?

Most of my info points to it being used on Barettas and Pacers, including mine.

I have never seen it on a Focus.

(Not that it means it doesn't exist.. you know how this works) [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                            X