no local luthier, what to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no local luthier, what to do?

What do you do when you don't have a good luthier in your local area? There are 3 guitar stores in my city (Corpus Christi) but they seem to just do light repairs. When it comes to getting a good setup, I'd like to get the whole enchilada, not just some eyeballed adjustment and someone to tell me "it plays ok" kind of thing. So, what are my other options? Are there places you can actually mail your guitar to get a professional level setup? I'm just curious what some of you do that live in rural areas. I've tried doing my own setups and that's ok for basic stuff but when it comes to truss rods, and neck shims, etc...I'd rather leave it up to someone who REALLY knows what they're doing. Ideas???
    E = Fb

Axe,
    Your not far from Houston. You could visit or ship your guitar to Scott at VWall, one of our sponsoring dealers here on the JCF. Scott can do what your looking for and get you a killer setup as well. He's done work for me and is setup is dead-on. Give him a shout. 281 794 9147, or clink on the link in the dealers section.
    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Thanks!!!!!! I go up there pretty often, my wife has family there so it would be convenient. Thanks, I'll give them a shout.
      E = Fb

Comment

Clink!
        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX
          Clink!
          Yea, clink. New terminology
          Last edited by Bengal65; 04-23-2006, 12:08 AM.
          Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by Axe Chemist
            What do you do when you don't have a good luthier in your local area? There are 3 guitar stores in my city (Corpus Christi) but they seem to just do light repairs. When it comes to getting a good setup, I'd like to get the whole enchilada, not just some eyeballed adjustment and someone to tell me "it plays ok" kind of thing. So, what are my other options? Are there places you can actually mail your guitar to get a professional level setup? I'm just curious what some of you do that live in rural areas. I've tried doing my own setups and that's ok for basic stuff but when it comes to truss rods, and neck shims, etc...I'd rather leave it up to someone who REALLY knows what they're doing. Ideas???
            Too bad I won´t be visiting my Parents this summer, or you could just bring it over to me on Padre island....

There are multiple places in TX that would do it, the aforementioned Scott Vanderwall, or Sully is also close....

Comment

Working...
            X