Decrudding Kahlers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decrudding Kahlers

I've got two Kahlers (on new-to-me '86 MIJ Charvels) that have one or more stuck (brass) rollers. Anybody got any good tricks for un-sticking 'em without taking the assembly apart? I've tried WD40 without success, and I hate to take them apart if there's an easy alternative.

Try using that WD40, and work it in with a toothbrush. Ultimately, the best thing IS to take em out, and soak them, overnight, in something like naptha.
    I'm not Ron!

Comment

Soak it in teflon based oil for a couple of days (stirr it around now and then) and then clean it up.

Of course i would take it apart beforehand, to have the oil do its job properly.
      Henrik
      AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

There are some great tips & pics here if you end up taking it apart:

http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/show...2&postcount=10

One thing Bret recommends is soaking the parts in a solvent rather than an oil, since residue can end up attracting & trapping more stuff down the road. I agree, & think it's best to clean it up & oil just the parts that need to be lubed. Sometimes, like when dealing with rust, an oil soak is the best thing.

Comment

I agree. In fact this is a quote from the last pane in that link:

"I highly recommend against dousing Kahlers with WD-40 or other oils as the residue they leave just become dust and grunge magnets accelerating the need to go through this all again."
          I'm not Ron!

Comment

Working...
          X