Pix of my project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pix of my project

OK, here are some more pics of my project Charvel, which I think is a Model 2. I talked about it in another thread, when I wasn't sure if it was a San Dimas body. I am pretty sure it's not. First here is one of me sanding off the finish:

Next here is one of the guitar after I put one billion coats of sandable primer on it:

Next I am going to sand the primer down smooth, then it's off to Tattoo Asylum to have Josh airbrush it!! I am thinking of getting this airbrushed on it, minus the band's logo and stuff of course. Erik from Deeds thinks it's a killer idea.

[ June 14, 2003, 05:14 PM: Message edited by: Ace ]

Re: Pix of my project

That graphic will look killer! The bottom cutaway looks deep, did you do that?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

That'll be a sweet graphic alright.

As for the body, it's definately not a Model 2.

None of the Model series have recessed trems.

I'm not sure what body that is, if it's a Jackson/Charvel, it's been altered, the lower horn has been thinned, RG-style.

It should be killer when done tho.

Comment

The trem recess was done by the guy who owned it before me, as was the thinning of the lower horn. Both were $hit jobs that I cleaned up. I wish I had my camera to take pix of this thing before I started working on it. The horn looked like it was cut by a 6 year old with a band saw. It was totally uneven, and you could totally tell where the two cuts that he made met. Then instead of repainting it, it looked like he just colored it in black using a magic marker. The trem recess was crap too, it looked like the same 6 year old got his hands on a router. I cleaned both up when I sanded the paint off it.

Comment

Well it looks like you did a good "Clean up" job then. (Fu(kn damn 6 year olds and their power tools)! [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
          The guitar body reminds me of that Axxis (I think) that Loomis used to play. I could be getting it mixed up with another guitar but it looks familiar.
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

IMO you should cut the top horn to match.
            I like the graphic.
            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

It's a little late now for me to cut the top horn, unless I want to re-sand and re-primer the whole guitar. I do think it looks a little strange with one rounded horn and one pointy horn, but people might look at it and wonder WTF it is. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Dude,
                If you've went thru this much effort on it and are putting a custom graphic on it like that, take the extra time to match the top horn up with the bottom one, you'll kick yourself in the ass later if you don't do it now.
                Trust me.
                It's worth the effort.

Another thing...
                That trem route doesn't really look long enough to accomodate a real Floyd, if that's what you're going to put on there, I'd fix that as well.

[ June 16, 2003, 01:06 PM: Message edited by: JiMoSiTY ]

Comment

Ya also gotta watch the edge of the baseplate for the trem - doesn't look like it's going to clear the top of the body into the recess.

I'd agree that the top horn should match the bottom - it's more work, but you'll always look at it and go "damn, that perfect top horn does NOT match the bottom horn" [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

You should be able to re-primer just that section without it causing trouble.
                  Or you could give the top horn a jagged-notched look, so it looks like some Hellspawn took a bite out of it [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Newc
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

yep, I'll toss vote for a cut into the top horn..major pain but if you're doing the graphix custom like..might as well be 100% happy... but's your axe man, totally. You're the man who's working the finish, paying the bill and sweating for both.

Comment

HMMMM... I had never thought about cutting the top horn. I don't have a band saw here, so I would have to go find one that I could use. The guitar had a ral floyd rose in it when I bought it, which was one of the reasons I did buy it, and it fit in there fine. Here's a pic of the bottom portion of the bridge, held in place by an allen wrench. Don't mind the flawed finish, I still have yet to get off my butt and go get super fine sandpaper.

Comment

Also I want to thank budman for the killer pickup bezel!! It's drying right now(I painted that, along with an old wax-backed EMG 81, white so that they can be airbrushed as well).

Comment

Working...
                        X