Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have the guitar assembly bug again. Tips needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have the guitar assembly bug again. Tips needed.

Twenty years after assembling my first guitar (and being turned off on assembling more due to horrible sound quality), I'm ready to give it another shot. There's a few things I'd like to get some thoughts on. I've done searches here and the Web, but haven't found the info I need, so here it goes.

1) Tremolo - I'm interested in using a traditional trem, with real strong springs so I can get the plate to really mate against the body and maximize string sustain. Who do you guys consider to make the most solid trad trem? Also, in a previous post I had asked if anyone knew about Samson Fine Tuning Saddles, which added fine tuning capability to traditional trems. Does anyone make a similar product today (replacement saddles or a complete trem). Or should I just go with a Floyd style and not float it and mount it flush? Pulling up is not important to me. Fine tuning is important, because I'll be using a locking nut.

2) Body - I want to use a Flying V body. The neck I have is a no-name Explorer (22 fret, rosewood/maple, no scarf) style I bought from Music Emporium. The heel width is a c-hair over 2-3/16", nut is 1-5/8". Who makes a good valued finished V body? I've looked and haven't found any, other than unfinished bodies. I'm looking for something with massive sustain. Also must be fully routed, classic V style (no Carvin/Jackson styled pointy edgy bodies). No preference as to rear mounted or pickguard style.

3) As for electronics I already know what I'm gonna do.

Anyway, maybe Guitar Project 2006 won't turn out to be a dog like Guitar Project 1986. Any thoughts that would help me out are appreciated.
    Just a guitar player...

give warmoth a shot; they make Vs and they have a paint shop.

not familiar with the samson fine tuning saddles, so i can't help ya there.
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by sully
      give warmoth a shot; they make Vs and they have a paint shop.

not familiar with the samson fine tuning saddles, so i can't help ya there.
      +1 On what Sully said. For wood, you might check out an all Mahagony or better yet Mahagony with a maple cap for your super sustain, crunch stuff. Warmoth does a great job on their finishes as well.
      Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Here ya go, texas

http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/bodies...m?fuseaction=v

"Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I have heard great things about warmoth bodies and necks. But since you didnt get your neck from them, you should measure the heel as accurately as possible and discuss this with someone at warmoth to make sure you can use your neck on that body. Or read up their website to try and find out yourself. I would definetly be *SURE* it will work before placing the order if it was me.

Postal!

Comment

I came across the Rockinger trem. It almost would satisfy my want for a traditional trem with fine tuners. The pin/forebar system is the weak spot. I might have to get together with this local machinist/guitarist and design a fine tuning saddle for Strat trems.
            Just a guitar player...

Comment

Working...
            X