Dying fretboard - inlay question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dying fretboard - inlay question

If I dye my (rather dismal looking) rosewood fretboard on my KV4 with some ebony woodstain, what are the chances of it messing up the inlays? I'm not sure what the inlays are, maybe MOTO? Will those absorb the dye or would it just wipe off them?

I know I'd be better not getting any dye on them in the first place, but I know it'll happen...

Steve.

Originally posted by SteveFireland
    If I dye my (rather dismal looking) rosewood fretboard on my KV4 with some ebony woodstain, what are the chances of it messing up the inlays? I'm not sure what the inlays are, maybe MOTO? Will those absorb the dye or would it just wipe off them?

I know I'd be better not getting any dye on them in the first place, but I know it'll happen...

Steve.
    i'd say your chances are 100%. you may want to use a q-tip around the inlay areas and use a razor to scrape the inlays when you're done.

sully
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Tape off those inlays and the fretwire and the side dots and the neck below the fretboard.

It's called STAIN for a reason.
      750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
      Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

Tape off EVERYTHING in the vicinity that you don´t want black

Comment

We'll see what happens.

I'll report my findings when it's done...

Steve.

Comment

oy. you may want to try tinted oil instead, you may acheive the results you're looking for with less hassle.
            Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I dye all of my rosewood boards black with an oil based dye. You want to be careful not to get it on the binding, because it's a real pain in the ass to get off (taping it off does nothing!), but it rubs right off the inlays.

It's same stuff Gibson uses to dye their ebony boards. You can get it at Stewmac.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Finishin...ard_Stain.html

If you do go that way be VERY CAREFUL with it. Whatever it gets on is black forever.
              Whataya Mean I Don't Support The System? I Go To Court When I Have To!

Comment

Originally posted by St.James
                I dye all of my rosewood boards black with an oil based dye. You want to be careful not to get it on the binding, because it's a real pain in the ass to get off (taping it off does nothing!), but it rubs right off the inlays.

It's same stuff Gibson uses to dye their ebony boards. You can get it at Stewmac.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Finishin...ard_Stain.html

If you do go that way be VERY CAREFUL with it. Whatever it gets on is black forever.
                This has been my experience with a mid-90s Pro neck with moto inlays and binding. The stain came right off the inlays, but the binding was a PITA. Masking it off didn't help as the stain would creep right under it, though I used regular masking tape, not the Blue 3M stuff which might work better.
                I had some acetone next to me while I stained and if a bit got on the binding, I'd use a little acetone on a cloth to wipe it off right away which seemed to work alright.
                "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

gotta be careful putting acetone on binding, it'll melt it very quickly. best way to clea up binding would be to gently scrape it with a razor blade.
                  Sully Guitars on Google+
                  Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Maybe try clear tape, and cut it with an Exacto knife? I'm thinking that way you should get a tight seal to protect binding/inlays/frets.

Comment

Originally posted by sully
                      gotta be careful putting acetone on binding, it'll melt it very quickly. best way to clea up binding would be to gently scrape it with a razor blade.
                      exactly, that is the proper way of doing it and the best way that I have found. Just hold the blade about 90 degrees perpendicular, and scrape away lightly till you get the "feel". It easy and it's fast, just stay "above the fretboards surface and take your time!

Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Originally posted by DonP
                        Maybe try clear tape, and cut it with an Exacto knife? I'm thinking that way you should get a tight seal to protect binding/inlays/frets.
                        it's really time consuming and you also have to have a very steady hand to ensure that you're not cutting into the binding seam (if you do that, you could run the risk of separating the binding from the wood) or onto the wood itself. you still don't have a guarantee that it'll completely keep out the seepage. airbrush frisket would be a really nice masking tool should you decide to do that, but if you apply the stain cautiously (qtips around the inlays, etc) you should be able to clean up the little mistakes with a razor pretty quickly and easily.
                        Sully Guitars on Google+
                        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

it's really time consuming and you also have to have a very steady hand to ensure that you're not cutting into the binding seam (if you do that, you could run the risk of separating the binding from the wood) or onto the wood itself. you still don't have a guarantee that it'll completely keep out the seepage. airbrush frisket would be a really nice masking tool should you decide to do that, but if you apply the stain cautiously (qtips around the inlays, etc) you should be able to clean up the little mistakes with a razor pretty quickly and easily.
                          +1
                          750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
                          Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

That's what I do, I use an exacto knife. I've also found using fine grit emery boards to come in handy.
                            Whataya Mean I Don't Support The System? I Go To Court When I Have To!

Comment

that works as well, but be sure not to use black sandpaper on binding. it can make a very ugly mess. don't ask me how i know this...
                              Sully Guitars on Google+
                              Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Working...
                              X