Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unusual action question!!

This is a weird one.

I have a Charvel Model 2 mutt with a Gotoh Floyd on it. The neck is an aftermarket Warmoth.
    I play pretty agressive in both fretting, bending and pick attack. I had to lower the bridge hum because occassionally I would pull the string off and it would get caught on the pickup edge.
    What happens on a fairly regular basis with this guitar is I keep pulling the high E string off of the fretboard.
    Its not near the edge normally. The string spacing is perfect.. just like all my other Floyded guitars.
    I noticed this happening on my Fender Stratocasters too but I just adjusted the high E string saddle so that it tilts in towards the bass side a little and the problem was solved. What do I do with a Floyd?? Is there anyway to tilt the high E saddle on a Floyd with a shim?

not without potentially runining the screw that hlds the saddle to the base. when you're not playing, is the high E shifted over, or is it just your playing style that's making you do that?

the only other thing i'd suggest is putting an R2 nut on there (provided you have an R3 currently installed). that way, the spacing would create more room on the edges.

sully
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Sounds like you just need to re-align the neck.
      The overall spacing can be perfect and still the alignment can be off and cause this problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Model1VH2
        Sounds like you just need to re-align the neck.
        The overall spacing can be perfect and still the alignment can be off and cause this problem.
        Right. I think Sully was hinting at this too - the neck might be shifted in the pocket and might need shims to correct the alignment. Dan Erlewine's book (can't remember which one - probably the "Repair" one) has some good photos of this.

Comment

yeah, sorry. i have a habit of not posting the complete thought that's in my head. make sure the neck is aligned right (strings aren't shifted to one side or the other) first. if they're fine, you may want to try a more narrow spacing. or adjust your playing technique.
          Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
          Sully Guitars on Facebook
          Sully Guitars on Google+
          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

One other option, and this may sound insane to some, would be to put a JT-6 on there. It has 2" string spacing rather than the typical 2 1/8" Floyd spacing. That would buy you 1/16" at the bridge end & possibly solve the problem.

*Like I said, some people might find the idea crazy, but iirc John plays the hell out of a JT-6 - equipped 275 & I've never heard him complain about the trem, so I put it out there.

Comment

Sully, I am gonna take a look at the nut. I didn't think of that. It does have an R3 on it now. It quite possibly could be the wrong nut size!

The strings are the same distance from the edge of the fretboard as my other guitars. I am gonna try shifting it over a little more. Maybe its a "C" hair too close. Thanks guys. I'll post the outcome tonight!

Comment

Well, its the nut. It has an R3 on it now. It needs to be an R2. I wonder if the local music store will have one?

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable
                  Well, its the nut. It has an R3 on it now. It needs to be an R2. I wonder if the local music store will have one?
                  I ordered a new R2 nut today. Thanks for all the help guys. I should have known better. The JCF comes to the rescue again.

Comment

Working...
                  X