Model 6 Tremelos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model 6 Tremelos

Were the Kahler and jackson Floyd Rose tremelos that came on the Model 6 any good? Which of the two were better on that guitar? I considering buying one, but I don't know which version is better.

Re: Model 6 Tremelos

That's a tough one. It's really a matter of "feel" because they are both very different. Some people are "die-hard" Kahler users and others see the floyd rose style as superior. I own both and quite honestly, I like them both for different reasons. I don't gig profesionally, so maybe if I did, I would choose one over the other so I would be more "consistant" in my playing. But I like the difference in the 2 different trems becuase they are both fun to play on their own way. I will say this, the floyd style, whether it be the original JT6 or an actual Floyd Rose, is much less problematic than the Kahler I have found. It's also tougher and usually expensive getting replacement parts for a Kahler. Just my opinion though. Good luck with your choice.
    Dave->

[ June 07, 2003, 02:11 PM: Message edited by: budman68 ]
    Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

I prefer the Kahler anyday of the week, but the good part of the Jackson JT6, is that you can take it out, throw it in the garbage and directly replace it with a Schaller Floyd..........At least thats what I do whenever I am confronted with one.........

Comment

Now that didn't take long did it? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] See journeyman, what I tell ya?

Dave->
        Dave ->

Comment

I really like the JT6. I had one on my '87 Model 6 and on my '88 Model 5A. They stay in tune very well, and I like the fine tuners on the back. I haven't played a Kahler in years, but I never really cared for them anyway.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I agree with Budman 100% - it's a matter of personal preference. I bought my Model 6 with a JT6 and within months, had a Kahler installed cause I like the feel of them better. I will say I thought the JT6 stayed in tune a little better though. But I'm sticking with the JT on the 275 I recently purchased since I still haven't got the part for my broken Kahler. But yeah, I'd say they're both "good". Pick and choose...

Comment

Originally posted by TommyJ37:
              I still haven't got the part for my broken Kahler. But yeah, I'd say they're both "good". Pick and choose...
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">What part do you need for your Kahler?
              Dave-&gt;
              Dave ->

Comment

I need a new roller saddle for my low E string. Actually the roller itself is
                grooved where a previous owner never EVER
                oiled it and it calcified into place!
                That's not on my Model 6 though; its Kahler is fine.

The Model 6s with Kahlers are 1986s, the first year of production. In 1987 they switched to the JT6. I like both Floyds
                and Kahlers too, though you do have to take it easy on Kahlers compared to the abuse a Floyd will take.

If you like to swing your guitar by the trem bar, get the JT6 version.
                Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

What part do you need for your Kahler?
                  Dave-&gt;
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">String holder claw - emailed you pics - thanks - hope you can help me out - tired of waiting for the "golf club makers" [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

If you like to swing your guitar by the trem bar, get the JT6 version.
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Love this forum - you guys crack me up

Comment

You have mail also...... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                    Dave ->

Comment

Originally posted by Accept2:
                      I prefer the Kahler anyday of the week, but the good part of the Jackson JT6, is that you can take it out, throw it in the garbage and directly replace it with a Schaller Floyd..........At least thats what I do whenever I am confronted with one.........
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">haha lol, my thoughs exactly.
                      I hate those JT6's as well. staying in tune...are you kidding me? man every time when I make a dive, I have to retune it completely! actually, I can't believe Charvel put such a cheap trem on a guitar that costed $900 back in 87!
                      Only 20 minutes ago I returned from the local guitar shop, where I dropped my model 6: JT6 is going to be replaced by a Schaller. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Harrald

Comment

I still don't know what the hell you guys are doing to your trems.. jumping on them?!? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

I've got a number of JT6 trems, and OFRs, and OFRPro's, and JT580's..bla..bla..bla..

And they all, pretty much stay in tune just fine.

Blindfolded, I'd never be able to tell the diff..

I must have the ONLY 2 working JT6 trems on the planet. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

I have to agree 2loud. I honestly NEVER had a problem with any of my floyd style trems as far as staying in tune. I will say that the OFR's are a better built unit that uses better quality materials, but to this day, I have yet to have a problem with the JT6's.

Dave-&gt;
                          Dave ->

Comment

I never had a problem with one staying in tune. But with that cheap Taiwanese metal they used, all the cheap parts would get stripped, it looked cheap & ugly and it had a cheap feel to it......Oh, did I mention that it is a cheap a$$ed trem?..........

Comment

next week I am getting my modified charvel back: new tremolo, a schaller instead of the JT 6. If you pay the shipping, you can have mine!

harrald

[ June 11, 2003, 03:32 PM: Message edited by: guitar geek ]

Comment

Working...
                              X