Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For anyone considering D-Tuna (Pics incl)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For anyone considering D-Tuna (Pics incl)

Hey guys,
    Just installed a D-tuna on my custom shop dweezil Charvel and thought I'd post how easy it was. I tossed around the D-tuna idea for a while and finally decided to do it after researching and finding the trem stopper, an item I don't see anybody talk about...but it's cheap and works perfectly for blocking a Floyd.
    Finding a decent, non-evasive way to block the Floyd is what kept me from doing this for a long time.

Here's the D-tuna installed:

Here's the tremstopper installed:

I installed the trem stopper and the D-tuna in about 15 min. I only used a drill to make two small pilot holes for the trem stopper screws. I have seen a lot of threads about how the D-tuna does not work. Mine works perfectly! It does not put any string out of tune when changed from the in or out position.

I puchased the trem stopper from axcessories.com for $9.95. I had E-mailed Floyd Rose about it but purchased it from axcessories before they replied. Their reply said you can purchase the trem stopper from them as well, by calling ($10.99). The phone number they gave me is 732-918-7001.

Just figured if anyone else was toying with the idea I can tell you it was cheap, simple and I am really happy I did it.

By the way...you will notice in photo 2 there are now only two springs on the floyd. The trem stopper does block the middle spring. I imagine you could place it off to one side and still use the 3rd spring. I just tightened the two springs and this works perfect.

The spring claw is pulled all the way back to the cavity route because I use Webstring Rock/Jazz .011-.050 guage strings plus I put a little extra pressure to keep the Floyd block tight and flush against the stopper.

I imagine if you use smaller guage strings the claw would not need to be screwed back so deep.
    -Michael

Nice, I've never seen one of those before.
    I have D-tunas 2 of my guitars.
    Very easy to set up (like you said) once the trem is blocked.
    I have one on my GMW(where the floyd is top mounted very close to the body so I just tightened the trem srews so there was no play up (piece of cake)
    and one on my Jackson snake. I had to block the trem on that one (i used a home made "solution" on that one) but still pretty simple.
    gotta love the D-Tuna! great floyd add on!
    If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

That trem stopper looks like a cool and simple alternative to blocking a Floyd. Too bad it doesn't have a lower profile - looks to me it wouldn't be short/narrow enough to accomodate a 3rd spring without some contact or rubbing. At least, not in the normal "W" spring pattern.

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon
        That trem stopper looks like a cool and simple alternative to blocking a Floyd. Too bad it doesn't have a lower profile - looks to me it wouldn't be short/narrow enough to accomodate a 3rd spring without some contact or rubbing. At least, not in the normal "W" spring pattern.
        Correct...the spring does make contact which is why theres only two..but like I said it still works fine.
        -Michael

Comment

Cool. I think I'll be putting a D-Tuna on my Charvel Star when I get it. Does the Trem Stop still allow you to divebomb?
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

The only thing the stop does is keep the Floyd from pulling sharp. All strings loosening functionality is exactly as before.
            -Michael

Comment

Great. Thanks!
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

You could always "countersink" the bracket use
                Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

You could always "countersink" the bracket mounting just enough by using a straight (flush) router bit the width of the bracket. That way you would be able to mount the spring in the middle. Just an idea!
                  Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

the d-tunas are great, I love them as long as the trem is blocked (obviously ) but the trem stopper I hate because the of the "clank!!" you get if you don't bring the trem back down smoothly which in the middle of a song, does not always happen that perfectly, if ya know what I mean ?

I actually considered making one with a delrin tipped adjusting screw.
                    Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Thanks alot for the post. EXACTLY what I want to do, on my current project guitar. Just played a Charvel EVH the other day, with the D-Tuna, and I loved it. the Trem stopper is a plus, too. I'll either buy one, or make m own. Not that tough to do. so, you play 11s, and still only have to use 2 factory springs? Cool.
                      I'm not Ron!

Comment

Originally posted by Budman68
                        the d-tunas are great, I love them as long as the trem is blocked (obviously ) but the trem stopper I hate because the of the "clank!!" you get if you don't bring the trem back down smoothly which in the middle of a song, does not always happen that perfectly, if ya know what I mean ?

I actually considered making one with a delrin tipped adjusting screw.
                        Now, Delrin, "yea that's the ticket"! There ya go!

Comment

Originally posted by Racerx2k
                          Thanks alot for the post. EXACTLY what I want to do, on my current project guitar. Just played a Charvel EVH the other day, with the D-Tuna, and I loved it. the Trem stopper is a plus, too. I'll either buy one, or make m own. Not that tough to do. so, you play 11s, and still only have to use 2 factory springs? Cool.
                          I play 11s but I do do tune a half step flat....so my drop D is actually drop C#. If I didn't tune flat I'd probably have to find a way get another spring attached.

I haven't had a problem with the Floyd clanking on the stop but I did wonder if it would. If I were to depress it and just let go it would clank..but I don't really use my Floyd very aggresivley so it's not an issue I even have to think about...I bring it down softly by habit anyway.

If it ever became an issue I toyed around with the idea of trying a cheapo doorstop over the screw....I don't forsee that need.
                          -Michael

Comment

I haven't had a problem with the Floyd clanking on the stop but I did wonder if it would. If I were to depress it and just let go it would clank..but I don't really use my Floyd very aggresivley so it's not an issue I even have to think about...I bring it down softly by habit anyway.
                            and that's great, for you.

I was just giving some of the others who might think about installing one of these, some food for thought.
                            Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Maybe you could just put a piece of self-adhesive felt cloth to the trem block? Y'know, where it meets the stop screw?

Btw, I'm still having too much fun with floating trems that blocking is out of the question, although I know I'd probably like the added tuning stability a lot.

Comment

Working...
                              X