Pick up dilemma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pick up dilemma

I currently own a cool looking 1988 Charvel Model 6 fitted with the stock Jackson pickups. However, I dont seem to be able to get a great deal of volume out of the guitar compared to my other guitars (fender strats & Gibson Les Paul) even with all of the knobs turned up full.

I have tried putting a new battery in it but no change.

I'm beginning to think that the pickups might be tired and it might be time for a change, I was thinking of replacing them with EMGs but could someone suggest a good combination to install?? Does anyone think this may cure the volume issue or could it be something else???

Also does anyone know which way round each switch operates which pickup out of the 3 on/off switches on the model 6??

Thanks for your suggestions in advance!!

BigJay.

check all the wiring to see if their soldered correctly & not weak joints like barely hanging on a couple of wire strands that will give you a weak sound.
    Last edited by SGplayer; 04-21-2006, 12:43 AM.

Comment

The EMGs would probably cure any low-volume problems you may have. They have a radically different sound compared to passive pickups though, so the question is if EMGs would be your "thing".

I've had EMGs in mine, and they worked just fine, but I wanted something more organic sounding in it, so now I have a DiMarzio X2N in my Model 6. The X2N is a very high output pickup with a strong, tight bass end. I use it for downtuned playing (D).

The switches are neck on/off, middle on/off and bridge on/off. Since I currently don't use my neck and middle pickups, I have wired the middle switch to split the X2N to singlecoil mode.

Comment

Working...
      X