Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you replace stack pickups without routing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you replace stack pickups without routing?

I am considering buying a 275 deluxe but am interested in changing out the stack pickup.. any replacements available,possibly from seymoure duncan, so i won't have to have to routh for replacement? I am sur some of you guys out there know a bit on this..
    Thanks alot. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Re: Can you replace stack pickups without routing?

LOL Sory forgot my spellchecker..lol

Comment

twice, apparently [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
      Hail yesterday

Comment

I assume you mean the neck pickup. The 275 didn't have that weird "two single coils bunched together" thing in the bridge position like a Warrior or Predator, did it?

Anyway, if you're talking about the neck pickup, there are several options if you don't want to rout. I believe a couple of Seymour Duncan models would fit, including the Little '59, which is a single coil-sized humbucker, which I'm considering for a guitar at the moment. They also make JB Jr. and a Little Screamin' Demon single coil-sized humbuckers that would fit, but I doubt you'd want to use either of those as a neck pickup.

I believe the Seymour Duncan Cool Rails will fit into that slot, as well, though the HotRails has the lip on it and wouldn't fit.

EMG single coils will fit, as will the Bill Lawrence L-250 and 280 series.

[ May 30, 2003, 10:08 AM: Message edited by: pro-fusion ]

Comment

The pickup in the bridge position is a slanted stack pickup....which is what i was inquiring about changing out. the neck pickup is a single coil.

Comment

The 275 he's talking about does have this weird route at the bridge...the one with no pickup ring and the route is not rectangular...it sort of follows the shape of the pickup around the outer edge. I have one like the one he's looking at. He wants to replace the 2 stacked humbuckers (or whatever they are) without having to route the guitar. I figured somebody here must have done this at one time or another. I told him to check with you guys since I couldn't really answer the question fully. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
            Dana <~~~
            '85 Rhoads Custom
            '86 SD Str*t
            '86 Model 4 (5)
            '87 Model 1
            '87 Model 6
            '88 Model 3DR
            '90 650 XL
            '94 KE-3
            '97 DR Amberburst
            '97 Dinky BOFlames
            '05 SD Copperhead

Comment

Is this the guitar you have (or want to buy)? If so, are you wondering if the mounting holes are the same distance as other pickups of that size?

Dave->

[ May 30, 2003, 05:10 PM: Message edited by: budman68 ]
              Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Exactly like i am talking about...looking to find if there is a replacement pup that will fit right in without routing on the bridge pickup. Is there one that would fit right in?

Comment

Not sure if you understand what that "pickup" is. It is actually 2 separate pickups which are stacked humbuckers in a single coil package that are side by side to each other. It is not just one pickup. The picture I posted of the 275 has 3 pickups total. 1 at the neck and 2 together at the bridge. So if you were going to replace the pickups next to the bridge, you would have to get either 2 single coils or 2 stacked humbuckers to fit in there with no lips on them(like a strat pickup has).
                  Dave ->

Comment

Well thank you bro! Now i understand the pickup situation better. Glad to have a better understanding of what i am looking at.

Comment

No problem! May I ask what the price is on the 275?

Dave->
                      Dave ->

Comment

Guess it was the "stacked" thing that threw me off, because I believe the neck pickup is also a "stacked" single coil...

Anyway, somebody around here has a Warrior Pro that originally had the same set-up but was modified for a regular humbucker. That involved quite a bit of routing work, however. I don't know of any humbuckers that would fit into that bridge position rout, since I'm not sure a guitar humbucker would sound very good if the coils were 'offset' like that.

Comment

Seymour Duncan will make any of their single coils without the lip.

Or you can remove the lip yourself. Clip into the 2 holes holding the wire and remove the wire from the lip then remove the rest.

If you get one of the pickups RWRP and wire them in series you will have a humbucker. Dont use super hot single coils, as it would give you a SUPER HOT humbucker. 2 vintage singles (6.5K + 6.5K = 13K) would give you a humbucker close to a Custom Custom 14K.

What I'm thinking about doing with my Fusion (Same pickups that you have) is putting a vintage and a slightly hotter bluesier pickup in the bridge, that way I end up with 3 diff bridge sounds, vintage strat, blues strat, and humbucker with the output around a JB. (Note when you are using 2 diff winds of single coils you lose a bit of the humbucking effect.) something like the Fralin Unibucker, or DiMarzio Multibucker or DropSonic,

[ June 01, 2003, 03:45 AM: Message edited by: Hotrodder ]

Comment

Originally posted by Hotrodder:
                            What I'm thinking about doing with my Fusion (Same pickups that you have) is putting a vintage and a slightly hotter bluesier pickup in the bridge, that way I end up with 3 diff bridge sounds, vintage strat, blues strat, and humbucker with the output around a JB. (Note when you are using 2 diff winds of single coils you lose a bit of the humbucking effect.) something like the Fralin Unibucker, or DiMarzio Multibucker or DropSonic,
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hotrodder, let me know how that works out for you. I also have a Fusion Special and am thinking of doing the same kind of mod.

Comment

It's going to be awhile before I do it. Got laid off 2 weeks ago [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X