JE 1200 question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JE 1200 question.

I'm working on a model 6 with the JE1200 gain boost every thing looks to be wired correctly( have been viewing the schematic post)but I'm getting lots of hum.Stereo jacks is ok,battery is strong,every thing is grounded right.
    You can roll back the boost and the hum will lessen but is still there.Roll it all the way off and still it will hum.
    On my amps clean channel its OK but crank up the dirt and the hum is there big time.I've never had a JE1200 act this way.Any ideas?
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Tough to say. Does the hum go away when your hands touch the strings? If so, it could be grounding thing.

My first inclination is to replace the stereo jack if it's the original one with the black square plastic housing. Those are notorious for crapping out in my experience. The plastic crumbles internally over time, and can short the whole circuit. I replace those with a switchcraft brand.
    If it's a true gounding issue, it could be tough to flush out. Another possibility is the whole active circuit that attaches to the volume control could be on the fritz.
    "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Very good advice to check the jack out first. I had this exact problem with mine. The plastic housing had cracked & was letting the tip contact slide out of place. I got intermittent hum that was most noticeable at high gain. A new jack solved the problem.

Comment

Well guys this was an easy fix.I had it all apart last night and the ground wire was not soldered to the trem claw.Quiet as a mouse now.

Comment

Glad you found the source! Ground hum is a major buzzkill!
          "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

No chit.

Comment

hey, this thread came just in time!
              I've been fooling around with a JE1000 the last days, and had way too much hum too. seems to solve my problem!!

but I got a question none the less. my guitar misses the groundings lying in the PU-caveties. I still do have the one coming from the floyd, but there's none in the caveties. didn't bug me so far since I had EMGs installed, which didn't hum at all, but now I've got my guitar lying all over the table anyway, I thought about doing it right.
              what do you suggest?
              shall I just put a screw in on the ground of the cavetie right under the hum? or shall I connect the PUs housing (the ground plate of the feet holding the springs) directly to the mass?

these boxed jacks seem to suck anyway, I got one installed right now, shortened the cable to get more space in the cavety, but I mentioned its cable is flexible as a railroad line, so I now have the choice wether I'd like the pickguard screwed on or the jackplate...
              think I'm gonna replace it too.
              tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

Working...
              X