Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel Journeyman or Standard?

Hi, its my first post [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Originally I wanted a Standard, because it had the maple neck. Now I'm not sure. I read another post which said the standard is 'tonally dead' compared to the Journeyman.. is this true? If I replace the pickups (with Seymour Duncan Custom Customs) will this make the sound much better or is the bad sound a result of the fingerboard?

:/ I'm completely stumped on this one, because i can't try before i buy... Charvel's are not distributed into Australia at all [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] so I am buying over the net. The weird thing is that both guitars are about the same price.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Charvel Journeyman or Standard?

Even though the standards got a neck pickup, get the Journeyman. Better neck, and I thought it sounded way better. The neck on the standard is comparable to a strat, while the Journeyman's is more like a Jackson. Just my opinion though.

Comment

ok thanks
      journeyman it is [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

(i cant wait to airbrush it [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] )

Comment

There's a turn up! I assumed that when I tried out the Standard & the Journeyman that they had in our local former Jackson dealer that I was just unlucky in that the Standard didn't soudn as good as the Journeyman, because I really wanted a neck humbucker.

The Journeyman's a great guitar. I think that very thick rosewood board and the alder body has a lot to do with taming the inherant brightness of the JB pickup, which I've heard described elsewhere as "the shrillest humbucker ever". Whatever, out of my 28 guitars it's the one with a cord plugged in to it at home at the moment.

Cheers - Steve
        Model 3
        Model 5A
        Model 3B
        Journeyman
        Custom Shop San Dimas s/n 8511

Comment

Yeah.. well I was looking for a fun no-nonsense rock guitar that I can use for just about anything (secretly I just wanted a guitar that resembled the old Kramer Baretta's without a Floyd [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ) and I found it.

The strange thing is the Journeyman, and the Standard, are almost the same price, yet the Standard has an extra Seymour Duncan (Jazz) in the neck. Maybe the maple neck was cheap or something, I don't know....

[ May 28, 2003, 03:06 AM: Message edited by: imikeyi ]

Comment

Working...
          X