Tone pots in an SL2H-MAH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tone pots in an SL2H-MAH

I thought Jackson normally used 500k tone pots in their guitars? When I had the control cavity plate off to install the TB5 I bought into my soloist, I noticed that it was a 250k pot. I guess I never looked that close at it before, but I'm wondering if thats why I always struggle to get a little more high end out of the guitar - the TB5 was more of a fix for the bass tone that I wasn't entirely happy with, and so far that part has been great. The low end of my tone is much tighter now!

So, is this normal? And am I correct in thinking that a 250k pot will roll off more high end than a 500k pot, or am I confused?

Originally posted by aldog1330
    So, is this normal? And am I correct in thinking that a 250k pot will roll off more high end than a 500k pot, or am I confused?
    You are correct, a 250k pot will have less highs than a 500k. Is it normal for Jackson to use 250k? I don't know. I always thought they used 500k for them, but 250k may just sound better with that pickup (same as a 250k pot sounds better with a JB because it gets too shrill in the treble and high mids with the 500k). You could always change it out and see what sounds best to you.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Thanks toejam, I just thought it was odd that generally the mahogany guitar is going to be darker than an alder guitar, so you'd want a 500k to bring a little more high end back in. I might try swapping them out at some point, though I can also always dial in more treble on the amp.

Edit: Post 666, oh boy!

Comment

No problem. It is a little weird that they'd use the 250k in mahogany.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
        X