Paint work...am I im for greif

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint work...am I im for greif

I need to paint a very clean bolt on body (Charvel). Would it be easy enough to just rough sand the old paint surface and go over it or should I striiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiip it? It's a pretty new guitar but the old color needs to go. I was kicking around the idea of getting spray cans from reranch or stew mac and giving it a go. I've never painted before so, anybody?

Rough it up, prime it, paint it. Stripping is not necessary providing the original finish is smooth and you prepare it correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable
      Rough it up, prime it, paint it. Stripping is not necessary providing the original finish is smooth and you prepare it correctly.
      +1
      -Rick

Comment

Any suggestions on paint brand/type? I was kicking the idea of gold or silver flake.

Comment

Make sure you rough it up good (320, maybe 220, but get the primer smooth after). My mistake was having too smooth a finish. The paint chips somewhat, but I think I would get less chips if the paint on top "grabbed" the original paint better.

Comment

Originally posted by JCTommie
            I need to paint a very clean bolt on body (Charvel). Would it be easy enough to just rough sand the old paint surface and go over it or should I striiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiip it? It's a pretty new guitar but the old color needs to go. I was kicking around the idea of getting spray cans from reranch or stew mac and giving it a go. I've never painted before so, anybody?

You should strip it. Have a blast and learn something new. some 60 grit and a palm sander and a dust mask will work just fine. Some have even used a heat gun. The body wood might be a good piece for a natural finish.

Comment

Stripping paint is nothing new I need to learn. It's not the worst thing ever, but it's kind of a PITA. Plus a factory top coat is usally pretty well flat and smooth. I'm just afraid of the chips. Maybe, it's a good time to stick a floyd on it too and loose the Vtrem?

Comment

Do yourself a favor, and NOT strip it. Completely unnecessary. Wish I didn't have to, but mine was already almost completely stripped when I bought it.
                I'm not Ron!

Comment

Let the original finish be your friend, don't strip it.
                  My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Originally posted by JCTommie
                    Maybe, it's a good time to stick a floyd on it too and loose the Vtrem?
                    How can you loose the Vtrem while putting a Floyd on there also?
                    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX
                      How can you loose the Vtrem while putting a Floyd on there also?
                      pull it off, plug up the holes, clearance the trem route (if neccessary), install the floyd mounts, put a smooth cut on the neck after the nut, screw on the locking nut, paint it all (not the neck) and play it. See, done! All in one sentence. This is what we all did when Floyd's first came out, back in the "day". The good old "day".

Comment

he was giving you shit about your improper use of the word "loose."
                        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                        Sully Guitars on Facebook
                        Sully Guitars on Google+
                        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

If you plan to repaint, then strip it. You don't want a thick gloppy paint job that is going to deaden tone and resonance. It'll sound better with less paint on it. IMO it's the "right" way to do it.

Comment

Sorry, Dave-O, but I'd be more apt to follow MM's advise on this. Stripping would be an unnecessary task. Like the man said: "Let the original finish be your friend.".
                            I'm not Ron!

Comment

my best advice is to pay someone else to do it. you'll be much happier with the end result. which reminds me...mark, i gotta talk to you about a project!
                              Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                              Sully Guitars on Facebook
                              Sully Guitars on Google+
                              Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Working...
                              X