Suggest some hot strat pickups.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggest some hot strat pickups.

I recently bought an old japan made squier strat, and the stock pickups sounds somewhat weak, and the neck one kinda muddy as well...
    And also, while low output is fine at home through my Korg ax1500g, my marshall (jcm 800) Does not have a ton of gain, so a little more output would be nice.

So suggest a complete set of single coils, that still sounds like strat pickups, no hotrails or similar.

I´ve been looking at the Fender noiseless hots, and and the dimarzio virtual vintage blues, and heavy blues, are these any good?

Feel free to suggest anything else that you think would be better than those as well.

Thanks!

If you want the gold standard in Strat single-coils, go with Lindy Fralin pickups. The Blues Specials and Vintage Hots are both excellent choices.

Comment

Seymour Duncan Duckbukers, Dimarzio HS2,3 and YJM's are stacked singles but they still sound like singles, Virtual Vintage and gold or red Lace Sensors.

Comment

There are a lot of good choices, but the pickups aren't your only problem with a Squire. The pots and wiring suck too. Your best bet is to try to get an assembled pickguard from a US strat that someone is changing out.

A friend of mine had a Squire that he basically liked, until he played some of my Strats. He couldn't believe the difference. He got a full pickguard assembly from a US strat off eBay for $50, we did the swap out, and now he has the sound he was after.

To add to the list of single-coil sized stacked humbuckers, check out the Lil '59 and the LiveWire.

Comment

Ok, thanks for the suggestions!
          I might replace all the electronicks if they give me trouble, but also, this is an Japan made from the 80´s, which from what i understand is basically an Japanese Fender, way better than the new ones, made in China or whatever, and actually a great guitar, plays and sounds amazing.
          Last edited by rocksoldier; 04-15-2006, 01:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable
            ..Dimarzio HS2,3 and YJM's are stacked singles..
            I don't think the HS2 + HS3 are considered "hot" output.
            I'd consider them pretty low output. The Hs-3 has an ouput of around 90mV/25K or so. But is sounds awesome in a Strat.
            Henrik
            AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

If you're serious about the "hot" strat sound, I suggest going with the Rio Grande "Muy Grande" pickups. They'll cut through any mix and they are some of the best strat sounding pickups out there...
              Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

I vote for Fralins blues specials and an rsguitarworks strat pot upgrade kit Great strat tone.
                Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

straycat, you change your screen name? You used to be "Richard" , "Roy B's" friend, from RS Guitarworks, correct?
                  Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

I'm a HUGE fan of Van Zandt blues model pickups. Actually I recommend Blues model in neck and mid, and a Rock model in the bridge. I set up a friend's mexican-made strat with these, and it's now an entirely different guitar (one that is actually good now)!

Comment

Originally posted by jackson1
                      I don't think the HS2 + HS3 are considered "hot" output.
                      I'd consider them pretty low output. The Hs-3 has an ouput of around 90mV/25K or so. But is sounds awesome in a Strat.
                      Yup, and YJM is a VERY low-output pickup.

-a

Comment

Fender noiseless hot for bridge. In fact a mixed set of noiseless would be a good upgrade for all positions as they still have strat like tonal qualities.
                        Fralin hot or a Steel pole 43 also for bridge.
                        Dimarzio virtual vintage 54 for neck or a HS-3. All are hum canceling.

I'm interested in trying some of the rio Grande and Van Zandt models too but I haven't bought any.

Comment

Those Japanese Squiers are fuckin sick guitars. Enjoy!

PS my friend from work has a USA Schecter Strat with a Hot Rails at the bridge and two Lindy Fralin pickups and it sounds great. I don't usually mess with single coil stuff unless its P90s.

Comment

I´ve found a great deal on the complete noiseless hot set, so i think i´m gonna go with that.
                            Charvelguy: Have you tried the complete noiseless hot set?

Comment

Originally posted by jacflash
                              If you want the gold standard in Strat single-coils, go with Lindy Fralin pickups. The Blues Specials and Vintage Hots are both excellent choices.
                              +1 on the Fralins! I have a set of Vintage Hots w/ Baseplate option in this beast:

I could'nt be happier! As far as pots & wiring are concerned, I bought a set from http://www.acmeguitarworks.com . Excellent quatlity parts, and very simple to install. I highly recommend them! Good luck!.

-Kenn

Comment

Working...
                              X