Kahler fulcrum trem setup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kahler fulcrum trem setup?

I just picked up a 1986 or so Charvel Model 3 today. It's clean and plays great and sounds excellent and was dirt cheap, but this (stock Kahler 2520 fulcrum) trem doesn't seem to want to come back to zero. Is there a secret to setting it up so that it's usable, or is the "trick" simply to remove, dowel, and Floyd?
    Last edited by jacflash; 04-12-2006, 06:01 PM.

Sounds like it's time to tear apart and clean the Kahler. What kind of condition is the Kahler in? Probably the usual sweat gunk, and other crap. Poke around, here, in the threads. I KNOW I've seen threads about work on Kahlers.
    I'm not Ron!

Comment

Since it's a fulcrum, check for the usual things; Worn knife edges and/or posts. Also check so the posts aren't wobbling in the bushings, or the bushings loose in the body. The model 3 is made of basswood which is really soft, so loose bushings would definitely be something to look out for.

Comment

Oops! Sorry. Didn't see it was a FULCRUM trem. My bad!
        I'm not Ron!

Comment

Well, I've got the trem out of the guitar now. Bushings are tight, posts are fine, but three of the rollers are frozen. Time for the ol' WD40 marinade. With luck I'll be able to get the rollers loose and cleared out without having to take every last bit apart, but we'll see in the morning.

Comment

Also remember that on the fulcrum trem, the knife edges are on the posts, not the trem base. Examine the post edges carefully for any flat spots.
            My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Working...
            X