Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me decide on pickups for a Model 1A

Hi Guys!

I've got a 80's Model 1A. It has 3 single-coil pickups, J100's I believe. I want to replace the neck and middle pickups with noiseless single coils, and the bridge with a single-coil-size humbucker. Thinking about Dimarzio's or Duncans. The guitar body is alder, neck is all maple.

Any suggestions? I want Strat-ish tones when playing clean, and anywhere from 80's rock/metal to current crunchy metal when playing dirty.

Not too long ago out here, someone mentioned Adder Plus pickups. Anyone have experience with these?

Thanks!
    "You are so stupid that I am surprised you have not collapsed into a singularity of stupidity." - Anon

Re: Help me decide on pickups for a Model 1A

I can probably help you, because I own one of these, and have changed the pickups 4 times.

First, I pulled just the bridge and put a Dimarizo HS pickup in there. This was ok, but not quite there.

Second, I put an Evans Hot Lead in the bridge and a Hot Rythm in the neck position (J100 still in the bridge)

Third, I replaced the whole pickguard with Fender '54 reissue pickguard.

Fourth (and final) I replaced the pickguard again with an EMG-S setup, with a mid boost circuit.

The best setup for me is the current EMG setup. Second would have been the Evans setup ( a CLOSE second!!). Thirdly was the original setup.... it really wasn't that bad! That particular Dimarzio didn;t do it for me and the Fender '54 reissue setup did not have enough gain for my liking.

Good luck with it! I really like my 1A.

Comment

Thanks for the info redmajj!
      "You are so stupid that I am surprised you have not collapsed into a singularity of stupidity." - Anon

Comment

Unless you have your heart set on DiMarzio, I'd say check out the Seymour Duncan website. They have a generator that will give you suggestions as to which p/u combo to go with.
        Occupy JCF

Comment

Hot rails or cool rails for the SC's and DiMarzio Super Distortion or Super 3 in the bridge.
          shawnlutz.com

Comment

Working...
          X