Pickups in a 650

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickups in a 650

Recently got to play a 650 and it has active pickups, anyone know what the model in the bridge is. Is there an EMG that compares to it? I heard an EMG 81 and it was great ,but a bit too bright, and the 650 sounded about what I was looking for. Just wonderig if it is similar to an 85 or not.
    Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Re: Pickups in a 650

Hi Rick, I believe those came with the 1200 series preamp with the mid-boost control and they used a J50BC humbucker and J200 stacked single coil sized humbuckers. By the way, the actual pickups are not active, they are just made "active" with the preamp. You can actually use the pickups without the preamp. Hope that helps!

Dave->
    Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Dave,

Toejam was just explainig that to me. What would be the difference in using them with or wothout the preamp. If used with it, that would be the same as an EMG right?

Comment

Well, the sounds of an EMG are different as any other pickup is different from one to another. (did that make sense? I'm starting to get quite a buzz as the night rolls on [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ). Yes, it's the same in theory but not the same sound. EMG's have the preamp built in the pickup where the Jacksons have the preamp on a separate circuit board that is attached to the volume pot. Hope that made sense too! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Dave->
        Dave ->

Comment

Dave ,

That does make plenty of sense, but what exactly the preamp is doing as far as the sound is what I'm wondering. In other words what is the reason I would want an Emg vs. a passive pickup.

Or what would be the difference in using those JAckson pups with or without the pre amp?

Comment

What I had noticed before I went wireless, is the fact that it's a stronger, cleaner, and quieter signal sent to your amp. That's a big plus if that's what your after. The thing I like about the Jacksons with the preamp and the mid boost setup, is that the midboost adds more variations to the sounds that you can get from a guitar without it. In my opinion, the more variations I can get out of one guitar, the better. I highly recommend getting the 650 or a model 6 or the model 5 with this setup. I have 2 model 6's and a model 4 and a model 5 with these preamps and midboost circuits and I love em.

Dave->
            Dave ->

Comment

I have a 650 with the stock Jackson system, and a Kramer Baretta with an EMG 85. I like them both. I probably like the sound of the 650 a little better, but there are more differneces betweent he guitars that may contribute to the sound difference. Don;t get me wrong, I reall ylike the 85 too. I found the 81 to be a bit bright for me.

Comment

Previous owner of my Charvel Model 6 removed je-1200 preamp from it. Yesterday I installed EMG SPC (presence control) in it to get result closer to original. Albeit EMG SPC has different center frequence (1300 Hz or similar) instead of 650 Hz of je-1200, it sounds great. I don`t know how it sounded with original configuration, but to me it sounds like EMG without EMG couldness. In my other i have EMG 81 and not very liked it, but I like gain that I get with it.

Comment

Im sorry, of course I mean coldness...
                  I also think that EMG(81 in particular) is bright for me.

Comment

Working...
                  X