Bridge and neck pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bridge and neck pickups

Whats the difference between the two in terms of wiring and construction? I mean can I take a hum that was labeled for the neck position and put it into the bridge without problems?

A pickup is a pickup, and can be placed anywhere you want. The harmonic qualities that are "picked up" change depending on what point (harmonic node) on the string the pickup is directly under.

Generally speaking, pickups that are closer to the middle of the string scale (closer to the neck) will sound fuller, and fatter, while pickups closer to the string end (closer to the bridge) will sound thinner, more trebly, with more harmonic overtones.

Pickups that are designated as "bridge" or "neck" pickups are generally wound in a specific way to better reproduce the specific tonal properties of each harmonic node, and sometimes are designated by magnetic-pole spacing (wider spacing for bridge pickup, and tighter spacing for neck pickup).

However there is no reason why you can't experiment by putting a "neck" pickup in the bridge, etc ... other than the PITA of rewiring it

-a

Comment

damn doublepost ... nothing to see here!

Comment

A pickup in the bridge is typically hotter than a neck pup, but a neck pup can be of equal power and work together with it fine.
        If a pup in the neck is hotter than the bridge pup, you'll have to lower it a lot to balance out or it will be overpowering.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

A pickup in the bridge is typically hotter than a neck pup, but a neck pup can be of equal power and work together with it fine.
          If a pup in the neck is hotter than the bridge pup, you'll have to lower it a lot to balance out or it will be overpowering.

Comment

Comment

Working...
            X