Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

tuning a baritone to drop c.. what should I know?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tuning a baritone to drop c.. what should I know?

I have been told you can tune a baritone guitar to drop C.. What should I know before attempting this? What size string gauge should I use? It is a 27'' scale baritone with a fixed bridge.

any input is greatly appreciated...

Thanks,

GMS
    Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
    The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

Grab one of your favorite guitars. Take note of its tuning, scale length, and string gauges.

With that info, go to daddario.com and download their "String Tension Guide":

http://www.daddario.com/Resources/JD...sion_chart.pdf

Using the info in that guide, compute the string tension for your current guitar/strings. Then backwards compute what gauges would give you that same tension on the baritone in C. Brand to brand, tension for certain styles/gauges of strings varies and the data in that guide is for D'Addario strings, but it should at least get you in the ballpark.

That's the scientific method anyway. Otherwise, you may just want to slap on any strings and go from there. But I'd say you'd at least want to start with 10s and probably more like 11s or 12s.

The scientific method doesn't always work in reality. I computed that I should use a .056" for the low B on my Ibanez 7-string. The tension was similar, but I ended up using a .052". Why? Compared to the .056", the .052" has a brighter sound that I prefer and it still has adequate tension.

Comment

Just undoing a double post....something isn't working right here.

Comment

Working...
      X