What's a good tung oil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's a good tung oil?

Anyone have any favorite brand of tung oil to use to finish a body? I'm going to tung oil a mahogany body for my next project and I was curious as to what others have used.

Formbys always works great for me -
    Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

anyone try it as a body finish? i've heard of it being used, but it seems to dry slower than some other oils.

sully
      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
      Sully Guitars on Facebook
      Sully Guitars on Google+
      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I get mine frome this place. It's pure and not cut with any thinners.

http://www.realmilkpaint.com/oil.html

Comment

Originally posted by Budman68
          Formbys always works great for me -
          Formby's it is then.

Comment

Originally posted by sully
            anyone try it as a body finish? i've heard of it being used, but it seems to dry slower than some other oils.

sully
            Yes, sir, that's what I used on the Model 88 and it drys fairly quickly. I applied a coat, let it dry (about 2-3 days to be sure) then scuffed it with 000 steel wool and reapplied a coat. Let it dry for the same amount of time and the used 0000 steel wool and she's as smooth as a babys bottom -

Dave ->

Comment

Dave, did you find the tung oil to darken the mahogany at all? Or did it go on completely clear?

Comment

"Nice wood!!!!!!!"
                I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

thanks dave! that's really nice lookin! pretty much any oil that you add to wood will darken or tint it somehow. personally, i think oil really brings out the wood's character.

sully
                  Sully Guitars on Google+
                  Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by 1trussell
                    Dave, did you find the tung oil to darken the mahogany at all? Or did it go on completely clear?
                    Absolutely, as sully said, any oil will darken wood. I can't imagine you wanting the mahogany in it's natural state though as it's very "dry" looking and when you apply the oil, it just springs to life and looks so rich!
                    Dave ->

Comment

All right, sounds good. I'm on my way to having a sweet ass project going.

Comment

This one was done with Formby's also.

Comment

Then I'm off to get some Formby's.

I really like the way that one turned out.

Comment

Originally posted by Budman68
                            Absolutely, as sully said, any oil will darken wood. I can't imagine you wanting the mahogany in it's natural state though as it's very "dry" looking and when you apply the oil, it just springs to life and looks so rich!

case in point:

mahogany before oiling:

mahogany after oiling (cherry tinted danish oil, to be exact):

it got a few more coats to darken it a bit more, but you get the idea. i've never understood why people are apprehensive that an oil will tint the wood. i can't think of a time when it's not been an improvement.

sully
                            Sully Guitars on Google+
                            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Did you guy's do any grain filling before the oil or did you wet sand the oil in? I just did a White Korina body with Watco Danish Oil. The first coat was the Golden (Sully's favorite), then the second through 27 coats were the clear stuff sanding with 600 Grit as I applied it. The slurry from sanding filled the grain. I learned this trick from a Pro who does fireplace mantels. All the grain got filled. I know the Tung oil is thicker, so less coats are needed.
                              Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Working...
                              X