mother of pearl question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mother of pearl question

i lost patience reading the technical thread to find this but, is ther any way to bring back the life in my sharktooth inlays?some are shiny and some are just dull,any suggestions?

Chance, when you say they are "dull", you might be under the assumption that they should all look the same? What I mean is, that pearl is a natural product cut from shell. It has a grain to it and it can run in many different directions depending on how it was cut. For example, look at the fretboard straight on. Now notice how some of the inlays don't look as white or "colorful" as the others. Now walk around it and look at the "dull" pearls from different directions, notice how they "brighten" up?

It's just the way they were cut, that's all.

Now if it's just dirt, take a little naptha and clean the whole fretboard next time you change your strings and then apply a little lemon oil to the fretboard surface to freshen it up.
    Last edited by Budman68; 04-08-2006, 09:40 AM.
    Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

we were just learning about this in biology last friday...MOP has a limited age of shine...about 100-150 years. And for the effect of losing the shine...I think it would be the best idea to keep the inlays off from a direct sunlight. In a case for instance.

Comment

Originally posted by Nazgul
        we were just learning about this in biology last friday...MOP has a limited age of shine...about 100-150 years. And for the effect of losing the shine...I think it would be the best idea to keep the inlays off from a direct sunlight. In a case for instance.
        So all of our inlays are going to look like crap in another 100 years??? That's it, I'm selling all of my guitars. I expected them to last a lot longer than that. I'm going to invest my money in rocks, they seem to hold up well over time.
        My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Originally posted by mm2002
          So all of our inlays are going to look like crap in another 100 years??? That's it, I'm selling all of my guitars. I expected them to last a lot longer than that. I'm going to invest my money in rocks, they seem to hold up well over time.
          good idea

Comment

thanx, but wouldnt they have like jewlry cleaners that grannys use for thier pearl neckless(dont take that the wrong way!).

Comment

all though it`s not the same(forgot this part),beacause it`s cut,but i think there has GOT to be somethng we don`t know about to do this.

Comment

Trust me, Chance, the advice I've given you is time tested -
                Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Originally posted by mm2002
                  That's it, I'm selling all of my guitars.
                  I'll take the Dinky colored-fretboard project then. In blue flame maple, thank you. Let me know when it's ready
                  Henrik
                  AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

believe me i trust everything you say,but you never know if theres a jewely freak who might know somthin we dont.thanx again guys

Comment

get a hand buffer.

...i swear, i should get some kinda kickback from the hand buffer manufacturers of the world.
                      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                      Sully Guitars on Facebook
                      Sully Guitars on Google+
                      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

yeah i still gotta get one for the frets!

Comment

i still gotta get one for the frets!

Comment

sorry dont know how that happend^

Comment

$20 at home depot. it'll serve you well!
                              Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                              Sully Guitars on Facebook
                              Sully Guitars on Google+
                              Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Working...
                              X