Pickup suggestions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup suggestions...

1987 Jackson USA Strat. h/s/s with a top mounted OFR. Fully bound Brazilian Rosewood fretboard, reverse headstock.
    5 way switch with 1 volume. Its that Jeff Beck pink color.

Guitar currently has a white PAF Pro in the bridge and 2 stock Jackson J100 singles in it.
    White isn't working on this guitar so I am going to change out all the pickups.
    I am gonna put a black cover on the middle pickup because I rarely use it and I sink it down pretty deep into the body so its out of the way of my pic.
    What passive pickups do you suggest? You guys know what kind of music I play.
    I actually like the PAF Pro that is in it but its too hot. I like more of a medium output pickup (like a Screamin Demon). Also, the single coil sized pickup that I need for the neck needs to be a stacked pickup.

I was thinking a Screamin Demon in the bridge and a Dimarzio HS3 or possibly a SD Hot Rail in the neck. The only thing I don't like about the Hot Rail is the cosmetic look of the rails. I like poles.

PAF Pro too hot?!? That is a medium-output pickup.
    http://www.dimarzio.com/
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam
      PAF Pro too hot?!? That is a medium-output pickup.
      http://www.dimarzio.com/
      Well, its marked DP151F and its hotter than the pickups in most of my other guitars. I have a Megadrive in one, an EMG89 running at 18V in another, one with an Evolution and one with a Lawrence L500XL. Those are my main players. The DP151F seems hotter than any of those.
      I better reinvestigate. Maybe the pickup is too close to the strings.

Comment

Hmmm, maybe it is too close to the strings than the pups in your other guitars then.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Blues Saraceno Trembucker.

Medium output, rounded warm PAF tone....good for brown sounds, will eat high gain well and will also roll off nice for blues if needed. I have one in my Predator and it is really a sweet, sweet pickup. Sounds even better than my Hybrid '59/Custom.

It is typically overlooked due to the parallel pole pieces...but it is the best pickup in Seymour's lineup...and considered so by many forum members over on the SD forum.

Mike
          Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable
            Well, its marked DP151F and its hotter than the pickups in most of my other guitars. I have a Megadrive in one, an EMG89 running at 18V in another, one with an Evolution and one with a Lawrence L500XL. Those are my main players. The DP151F seems hotter than any of those.
            Wow, it's hotter than a Megadrive! I'm surprised as that's one hot tamale!

In addition to the Screamin Demon, the FRED is also a good choice. I'm also a fan of the Duncan Custom, but it's described as a "PAF on steroids", so it's likely too hot for your purposes.
            "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

John, maybe that pickup was rewound? That pickup was crazy hot. All I know is that I plugged that guitar in for a while into my rig and I couldn't even use it with the guitar vol up all the way. I also don't think it's too close to the strings. You and I would have noticed.

Consider a Duncan Custom. it's hotter than a PAF, but not like what you have in there. I had one in an SLATQH I had and I'm going to put one in my new LP Standard (Pearly Gates in the neck). Go with the HS3 in the neck.
              "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

Try a van zandt blues in the neck position single coil if you're into medium output pickups, and don't mind single coil hum. They blow the J100's out of the water. For something more quiet and a bit hotter, I like the seymour duncan cool rails. Really good for metal, whereas the Van Zandts are great for blues and crunchy rock rhythms.

Comment

Weird. I had PAF Pros in my GMP, and pulled them because they were weak and flat-sounding to me.

Comment

John - If it's that hot. let me know if you want to sell or swap it.. I have a Lawrence L 500 R as well as an Anderson HN3+ sitting around....

Comment

I'll second the Blues Trembucker. That thing is one of Duncan's best kept secrets. I think a lot of people don't know about it because they don't like the looks of the Parallel Axis pole pieces. A lot of people are missing out. It belongs right in between the 59 and the Custom in terms of output. It's very clear and articulate and just drips with harmonics. Other than that, I've been really liking hybrid pickups made from one 59 coil and one Custom coil. They are pretty much the best of both pickups combined into one kick ass humbucker. Check out the Duncan forum for a bunch of threads on the hybrids.

Comment

Working...
                      X