Floyd Installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd Installation

How hard would it be to replace a standard trem on a charvel 1C with a Floyd Rose Original? It seems it would be hard to put on the locking nut. How much would it cost to have it done? (estimate) Anyone who has had experience with this type of thing, I would like to hear what you got to say about it. Good Idea, Bad Idea?

Re: Floyd Installation

It would probaly be cheaper to just buy a Model with a floyd.

Comment

Probably about $150 to get the body routed and the neck cut for the Floyd nut, then the cost of the Floyd itself.
      Then you have a guitar that's been modded
      (hopefully professionally) that is now about $150 in value.

I'd cruise Ebay and the pawnshops looking
      for a deal. I got a Jackson Fusion XL
      recently for $199 out the door with hard case. That was half the marked price that DIDN't include the case. It had a little surface rust on the blade pickups
      and the 5-way and pots were a little scratchy. I made some faces at that, got the deal, then brought it home and cleaned it up. An hour's work and $10 worth of cleaning supplies later (of which have enough left for another 10 guitars) and she'd probably bring $400 on
      Ebay if I didn't want to keep her.

Tech work is always retail, but pawnshops are a beautiful thing!

Comment

Hey, syrinx, you really think you could get $400 for a Fusion XL?! I'd be cornswaggled if you could get that for a Fusion Pro.
        "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
        Gotta get away from here.
        Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
        Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Maybe I'm the one who got cornswoggled!
          [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

It's got an HSS pickup setup; the "single" positions are dual blades and the humbucker is plastic covered. The neck and headstock are bound and it has sharkfin inlays. What model is it then?

Comment

The Fusion Pro was the first Fusion, nearly identical to the USA Fusions. Ebony fingerboard, mother of pearl Jackson logo inlay, mop sharkfins, bound neck and headstock, Jackson pickups with active Jackson circuit, a real high end guitar. But the Fusion XL was a slight step down, and it lacked many of the high end features of a Fusion Pro. You have a nice one, don't get me wrong, but $400 is reaching too high.
            "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
            Gotta get away from here.
            Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
            Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Originally posted by Journeyman:
              How hard would it be to replace a standard trem on a charvel 1C with a Floyd Rose Original? It seems it would be hard to put on the locking nut. How much would it cost to have it done? (estimate) Anyone who has had experience with this type of thing, I would like to hear what you got to say about it. Good Idea, Bad Idea?
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It shouldn't be too bad for the Floyd route. The posts would just need to be filled and redrilled for the Floyd posts which are farther apart. As far as the locking nut, I'd just got with a set of Sperzel or Schaller locking tuners. A lot of people on the Carvin board have their guitars like this (though a locking nut option is available) and most of them claim the Floyd stays in tune just fine with the locking tuners.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Thanks, Charvel750!

Toejam, those Carvin forum guys probably
                have the straight-pull headstocks which
                help the Sperzels perform better. That
                may not work as well on a pointy headstock that doesn't have straight pull. He'd need a lock nut, or a behind-the-nut locking clamp, to stay in tune.

Comment

Oh yeah, good point! The newer Carvins do have straight string-pull through the headstocks. A Kahler or Jackson JT6 behind-the-nut lock would be pretty good.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

it would be about 150 for the install. I have did installs on 2 different model 1's. One of them didn't require any further routing. One of them had to have a hair shaved off it. If you never did it before might want to practice on a clunker...if not measured perfectly you'll have problems
                    shawnlutz.com

Comment

Working...
                    X