charvel 6 trem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• charvel 6 trem

does anybody know if i can replace my nasty kahler trem from my beloved charvel mod.6 guitar?
    i was thinking change it to a original floyd rose I.can i have some opinions about it please because i ;m getting from this "out of tune"situation?

Re: charvel 6 trem

Why don't you just put in a new Kahler?
    http://www.kahlerinternational.com/

Comment

That Kahler should not go out of tune. It may need a little tlc
      It's not a competition, it's a community

Comment

It is a possibilty that the springs are going bad and it's not balancing properly?
        Just a thought,
        Dave->
        Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

I have seen some good posts on the Kahler in the past. My first tip is to make sure you sit the strings in the saddles correctly. I put them in and ull them tight with my hand before lacing the machine. Also go to the Kahler site or eBay and get the manual. Has it been lubed since 86?

Kevin

Comment

I was LUCKY ENOUGH to have a buddy give me some Kahler springs out of a BASS guitar unit...LOTS BEEFIER...I had some bent about a year ago, and I am OUT...If my old A$$ can REMEMBER WHO I had make them, I'd be GLAD to get another batch...Joe {Charvel750} SWEARS by them, as do I !!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Dryer:
              I was LUCKY ENOUGH to have a buddy give me some Kahler springs out of a BASS guitar unit...LOTS BEEFIER...I had some bent about a year ago, and I am OUT...If my old A$$ can REMEMBER WHO I had make them, I'd be GLAD to get another batch...Joe {Charvel750} SWEARS by them, as do I !!!!!
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hey Doc,
              I'd be interested in a pair or 2 if you remember!
              Thanks,
              Dave-&gt;
              Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Doc

I would love a pair or 3... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Kevin

Comment

It could even just be the locking clamps
                  are grooved. You can see this real easy
                  on a Floyd nut but the strings clamp to the underside of the frame on a Kahler
                  locking clamp, and you'd need to remove the clamp and disassemble it to really tell. Since the clamps are not that costly, I'd check that as well as getting new springs if you can. If the new clamp
                  stops the tuning problems, then just keep
                  the new springs until the old ones DO wear out, or switch them and have the old
                  ones as spares while they're actually still good.

I'd love to get the heavy springs too. My Kahlers are fine without them, but you really do have to use a lighter touch with them and I wouldn't mind a bit more
                  consistent feel between them and my Floyd
                  guitars. Also, the lube is important. I
                  oil the saddles and all moving parts at least every 3 months. If the saddles won't roll, you may need to take them off
                  the saddle assembly and clean and lube the individual parts to get rid of surface corrosion.

You'd spend almost what the guitar's worth routing it for and installing a new
                  OFR, and it would be worth $100 less than
                  before you started because it's no longer
                  original. The Kahlered guitars are much rarer than the Floyded ones, so if you're
                  just set on going Floyd, sell that one and get one with a stock Floyd (JT6) on it. If you still want an OFR it will fit
                  right it the JT6 slot, and if you ever want to restore it it's as easy a a string change to put the JT6 back.

Comment

Working...
                  X