Opinion of guitar to buy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinion of guitar to buy

Just kind of looking to get a feel of what would be a good overall jackson or charvel to buy within a limited budget that has great playability. I see so many...great looking and all... want to find objective opinions. I keep getting sidetracked by the looks of a guitar. All opinions will be appreciated. ^5

Re: Opinion of guitar to buy

I dissagree 100% with Cleveland Metal [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

For me the Model 1/2/3/4/5/6 Guitars totaly blow the toothpaste logo ones out of the water. (Not counting the 750XL never tried one but Want one)

But I'm biased [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I have owned my Model 4 for 16 years.. it's almost a part of me. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

i say a model 2 or 3, cheap but great. i only wish they didn't have the nut and then the lockers. cause those necks play so sweet and hold up under much much abuse. i've taken the truss rod all the way in both directions and it still settles just fine. (whet from d to b and back to d in one day when i should of let it sit overnight) very solid guitar with good weight and tone. and the old jt6 stays in tune so well and you won't be knocking the fine tuners out of tune like one newer trems.
      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Well i currently own a model 2 and like it lots. Looking to spend $200 to $400 as my budget is low. I eyed a charvel cx 391... have no idea of its worth or playability... am looking for thin neck great action and tonal quality. the model 2 that i have seems to play well and feels great so i guess i want to stay with something along those lines.

Comment

I never cared for the cx Charvels..

To me they seems like every other imported guitar.. OK build quality with crappy hardware/electronics. The Model's and the pre '91ish toothpastes all were a cut above the typical import.. Great build quality and the same hardware/electronics as the USA Jacksons.

IMNSHO

Comment

CharvelFK...I am selling a Model 3 and a Predator if you are interested. Both are in good shape and I'm not asking much. The Model 3C has the Kahler Floyd copy trem and no locking nut. (3C has the pickguard) I'm asking $160 plus shipping of $15. It's red w/black pickguard. W/hard case.

The Predator is candy apple red w/Schaller Floyd trem. Purchased from Greg Crowe of this forum and is in good shape as well. This one did not come w/case, but I have a gig bag for it. I'm asking $225 delivered for this one. I was going to put pics up tomorrow so consider this a heads up I guess. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
            Dana <~~~
            '85 Rhoads Custom
            '86 SD Str*t
            '86 Model 4 (5)
            '87 Model 1
            '87 Model 6
            '88 Model 3DR
            '90 650 XL
            '94 KE-3
            '97 DR Amberburst
            '97 Dinky BOFlames
            '05 SD Copperhead

Comment

I think you may want to add what uses you want out of it and what price range your looking in. The Model series Charvel is an excellent all around guitar but there are many different to chose from. Model 1's can go for $150.00 while Model 6's can go for $400.00. It just depends what you would like in a guitar as far as versatility.

Dave=>
              Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

I've played most all the different Jacksons and
                Charvels.

I own a model 4 and consider about the same as a Model 1/2/3, and don't like all that much, just not my fav.

My Charvel 475 is very comparable to the bolt on Jacksons, plays VERY well (as well as many $1k+ USAs) and are dirt cheap around $250 +/-.

Comment

Model series hands down, well, maybe.

I see some guys getting Journeyman's for silly money over there in the States, about the same as the Model 2's go for. So if you're one of those lucky guys then it's really down to neck shape & locking vs non-locking whammy bars at this cheaper end of the spectrum.

I have a Model 3, Model 5A and a Journeyman. The Journeyman sounds better than the bridge humbucker in the Model 3 and the only humbucker in the Model 5A. Model 3 gives you more flexability. There are some really good Strat tones in those single coil pickups. The Journeyman also has a tone control & coil tap as opposed to the 5A's single volume control.

Neck shapes? Well, the Model series have the typical wide & thin shredder neck. The Journeyman's is supposedly shaped the same as the San Dimas guitars from the early 80's. What they feel like to me is a slightly shallow "D" shape. A quick scan 'round teh guitar collection revelas that the closest resemblence is to my '94 '57 RI Strat.

Disadvantages of the Journeyman? You have to set up the whammy properly to avoid tuning problems[1], and the skinny bar feels sort or weird at first.

The choice is yours I reckon.

- Steve K

1) Raise the string retainer by about 1/8" to reduce the break angle at the nut. Lube the nut, retainer & pivot points with graphite. Stretch the strnigs in well. The usual.
                  Model 3
                  Model 5A
                  Model 3B
                  Journeyman
                  Custom Shop San Dimas s/n 8511

Comment

Guitarforce....
                    Hey bro sounds like you have a great offer there especially the model 3 but upon further happenings wife seems to think it's not a good time to make such an investment... oh well will see whats going on sometime soon...time to start logging in some serious overtime to have some money that can be spared on a guitar...can't say anything about the working extra hard for another guitar hehe

Comment

CharvelFK...if you change your mind, let me know. There is an ad up now in the classifieds with photos of the Predator if you'd like to check it out. If you'd like to see pics of the Model 3 just tell me and I'll post some. Good luck with the hunt for xtra cash. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                      Dana <~~~
                      '85 Rhoads Custom
                      '86 SD Str*t
                      '86 Model 4 (5)
                      '87 Model 1
                      '87 Model 6
                      '88 Model 3DR
                      '90 650 XL
                      '94 KE-3
                      '97 DR Amberburst
                      '97 Dinky BOFlames
                      '05 SD Copperhead

Comment

Gonna be happy to get that model 3 and get it in my hands... yeah!
                        Thanks Dana!

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel:
                          in one day when i should of let it sit
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">should have

[img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]
                          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I will be happy with that model 3 yeah!

Comment

Yeah, you're gonna like it bro'. It's a great player. Since you already have a Model 2, you already know what this one will feel like. The necks are identical. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
                              Dana &lt;~~~
                              '85 Rhoads Custom
                              '86 SD Str*t
                              '86 Model 4 (5)
                              '87 Model 1
                              '87 Model 6
                              '88 Model 3DR
                              '90 650 XL
                              '94 KE-3
                              '97 DR Amberburst
                              '97 Dinky BOFlames
                              '05 SD Copperhead