Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• opinions on 12's (strings)

Anyone use 12's? What do you think?

Are you going to be using them with standard tuning? I used them for awhile with standard tuning on a Strat and a Jazzmaster when I was deep into a surf guitar phase. They were fine for that style (very little bending), but overall unless you are detuning, have extremely strong hands, are using them on a very short scale guitar (like a Jaguar), or just want to try to get tendonitis, I wouldn't recommend using them but YMMV. Give them a whirl and see what *you* think.

Comment

I use 'em on my KVX10. Tuned to C. It took awhile to get used to the wound 4th string, but I like them. I actually may try a set of 11's at that tuning and see if I like the feel better. Just like Chad said "Give them a whirl and see what *you* think"
      THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Comment

Originally posted by Nuclear Vampire
        I use 'em on my KVX10. Tuned to C. It took awhile to get used to the wound 4th string, but I like them. I actually may try a set of 11's at that tuning and see if I like the feel better. Just like Chad said "Give them a whirl and see what *you* think"
        I currently use 54-12 on my KV1 and I tune to C as well. works like a champ. I had a set of 52-10 on my warlock tuned to B...sounds like ass...spagetti..

Comment

Originally posted by rga321
          What kind? I have a Martin D-12-35, I've had for 36 years now and a Rickenbacker 370-12 that I got new 2 months ago. I love 12 strings for the drone you can get out of them. Not good for power chords though, LOL!
          Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Ive got my RR1 tuned to Bb with 13s on it and its great. Chords with anything less seem to go out of tune quite easily. I would suggest using heavy strings only if youre tuning down though. There really is no point to play on anything bigger than 10 standard IMHO because all youre gonna do is tear the tips of your fingers off, and play slower than you could with 9s/10s. I know ill probably get slack from some saying "Tone, tone, tone, cookies and milk Michael Jackson, milkman...." But I really think its all BS. Anyway let the war begin.
            www.soundclick.com/matthewpigott

Comment

when you look at all the badass players who use light guage strings and have an awesome sound, it just seems kindof stupid to bother with really heavy guage strings...unless of course your tuning down low. i find that light strings just gives you so much more control so you can do proper vibrato and have good control over it.

Comment

Just for the hell of it I bought a set of 13s and put them on a strat tuned to standard. My fretting hand quickly got very strong bending on that thing. I think it is good as a practice tool but I would not use it for anything other than just building strength, it sounds like shit for leads.

Comment

Originally posted by rga321
                  I´ve been playing DR Tite-Fit 12-52 for about 10 years.

My thoughts: would I still be using them if I didn´t like them?

Comment

I use 12's with the low E swapped for a 0.060" for C standard on a 24.75" neck. What do I think? I think I'm hungry.

Comment

Working...
                    X