Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 way switch, but only 2 pups?

OK, I aint the sharpest tool...

Why does my just-purchased model 5, with 2 humbuckers, have a 5-way switch on it? And three pots?

Man, decisions, decisions...
    The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Re: 5 way switch, but only 2 pups?

My Fusion Plus had 2 hums and a five position selector. I think it's for parallel and series use of the humbucker.

Not 100% sure though.
    Facebook - Youtube

Comment

The original JE-005 switch was a Jackson designed concept. It allowed for a variety of wiring options, but almost all of the time it was wired to split the coils of the humbuckers. This allowed for a close single coil tone from a two humbucker equipped guitar. The Model 5 with active electronics used three pots. Master volume, master tone, and active mid boost.
      "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
      Gotta get away from here.
      Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
      Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

The Fusion Plus is wired up for neck hum, bridge hum, both p/u's together, inner coils of both hums, and outer coils of both. The two coil-split options can give you 'quack' in one position and 'honk' in the other, sort of pseudo strat and tele sounds.
        Hail yesterday

Comment

MAN! I've gotta get a fusion plus!!! I need a guitar that quacks... [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
          Occupy JCF

Comment

mine's yellow too!
            Hail yesterday

Comment

And I thought the quacking was just the way that I play...

Comment

Five-way switches with two humbuckers kicks ass!! My Fender Double Fat has it full bridge humbucker, inner coils of both pups, both humbuckers, outer single coil of neck, full neck humbucker. My Ibanez 7-string also has similar switching, just a little different. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I also have transparent yellow Fusion Plus [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG:
                    The Fusion Plus is wired up for neck hum, bridge hum, both p/u's together, inner coils of both hums, and outer coils of both. The two coil-split options can give you 'quack' in one position and 'honk' in the other, sort of pseudo strat and tele sounds.
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">OK, since nobody laughed at my original post, here goes a follow up:

Is there anyway for me to tell how my model 5 is wired without putting a multimeter on it?

This guitar was hardly played, so I doubt that the original owner rewired it.

You would think that I could tell how it is wired by listening to the different combos, but I can't - and I'm really not an idiot. I'm not used to active pickups, though, and frankly, all five different positions sound great. Usually when you switch from a humbucker to a single, you can REALLY tell. I can't with this guitar.

Last question, I promise.
                    atg

Comment

What you want to do is take something metal (like an allen wrench) and tap the coils of the pickups in each position and listen to which one is on. For example, both coils of the pickup should be on in bridge humbucking mode, in single coil mode only one of the coils should be on (either outer coil toward the bridge or inner toward the neck), both coils on in neck humbucking mode, all four coils on for both pups humbucking together, the two inner coils of each pup, two outer, etc. Sometimes certain guitars will have one humbucker on with only one single coil from the other or be parallel to each other or in series, in phase or out of phase. There's many ways they can be wired.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam:
                        What you want to do is take something metal (like an allen wrench) and tap the coils of the pickups ...
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I KNEW there was something simple that I couldn't put my finger on. I take back what I said: I am an idiot.

I'm going to do that right now.

Thank you!!!!!
                        atg

Comment

The only idiot is the one who doesn't ask. Now you know, and you will help the next in line who asks.
                          "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                          Gotta get away from here.
                          Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                          Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

OK, now that I've read about 150 of these wonderful posts, I'm curious - why did you guys pass on this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=2516887522

My 'new' (I bought it) Model 5.

I mean, I'm glad you did, because the thing looks like it hasn't been played, and I couldn't be more happy with it... but now I'm paranoid. Sure, it wasn't the best listing in the world...

Why did I win @ $247?

[ April 11, 2003, 11:47 PM: Message edited by: axtogrind ]

Comment

My Fusion Plus wired to bridge hum in first position,
                              outer coil of bridge hum in second, two hums together,
                              outer coil of neck hum and neck hum alone in fifth position.
                              This is second type of wiring as stated by instruction to my guitar.
                              First type is usual - bridge hum-outer coils-both hums-inner coils-neck hum.
                              And third option is bridge hum-bridge hum and outer coil of neck hum- both hums-neck hum and outer coil of bridge-neck hum.
                              But my Fusion intended only to japan market(it has guitar-shaped logo).

Comment

Working...
                              X