Dimarzio Evolution in my Model 2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dimarzio Evolution in my Model 2?

After playing my Model 2 for a few hours a day trying everything in my tweaking powers to get it to squeel, piss and moan I have given up. I e-mailed DiMarzio and told them that I wanted something that oozed harmonics and wasn't a flat, muddy nightmare. Have any of you guys had any experience with the DiMarzio Evolution. It sounds like Vai can wring out some of the good stuff from it. I love my pinch harmonics and (pats self on back) I'm pretty good at getting em to squeel. The Super Distortion just isn't doing it. I can get more squeel out of stock single coils on a MIM Standard Strat rhan the DiMarzio Super D. Give me some of that good ol JCF feedback.

Once again, you guys are the best on the net. I wouldn't go anywhere else for such sensitive information like this [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Re: Dimarzio Evolution in my Model 2?

I've played Evolutions in two different guitars:
    1) an Ibanez EX series that my brother owned
    2) a late 90's JEM7
    In my personal opinion the pickups sounded shrill in both guitars, the first being a cheap low quality guitar and the second being the high end JEM. I was not a big fan. I recently tried one of the JEM7's with the Breed pickups and I was much more pleased with the tone. I played straight through a 5150 stack at the store with no effects and I got harmonics out of that thing with minimal effort. The Evolutions don't seem to have as much mid or even low end punch than the Breeds do. The thing with Vai is that he has so many effects running that you never really know what is contributing to the sound. (In the end it still sounds smazing) My opinion, the Evolutions are too bright and tinny for my taste. But, I'm sure that there are people out there who absolutely love them. Think about the sound you really want before you buy the pickup.

Comment

I've got an Evolution in the bridge position on the Warmoth guitar I built and I really like it.. I've been a Seymour Duncan fan for years but I'm slowly becoming a Dimarzio convert [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] .. My Warmoth has an Alder body with a 1/8 inch Maple top, so the maple top is not really enough to effect the tone of the guitar and the Evolution in that body has a really good range of tonal "expression".. has good low end definition, enough mids to stand out and the highs are very crisp without getting muddled up.... Pinch harmonic's are a breeze with this pickup too. I've never tried a Breed, so I don't know how they compare. I've got a Super 3 here that I'm putting in my next "project", it's supposed to have enhanced mid's, so I don't know.... I'll just have to try it I guess..

Have you tried going to www.dimarzio.com and checking out the soundbytes of these pickups? Might give you a better idea of how they sound and they also give you a graph chart of the low, mid, and high characteristic's of each pickup. Hope this helps you out.... [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Keep in mind that the soundbytes on Dimarzio's website are usually mp3's of bands that use the pickups. There are numerous effects that are added. That is my only complaint about the soundbytes on Dimarzio's site. How much of the pickup really gets through in the mix? Just something to think about. It is just too bad you can't try a pickup out on your own guitar before buying it.

Comment

I'm not big on sound samples. Think Fender sound samples. I played the samples and over time tried the guitars out in person. No dice. Pickups are hit and miss. Seeings how an Evolution would be in an Ibanez it wouldn't give me an accurate sample of what it would sound like in my Model 2. For example, I had an LTD Kamakazi with an HB103B Duncan Design bucker in the bridge. I replaced it with a real Seymour Duncan Distortion and it made no difference at all. I'm affraid that will be the case with the Model 2. The Dimarzio Super Distortion I have in it now sounds alot like the P90 it had stock. Not good. I'm hoping that an Evolution, by suggestion of a DiMarzio tech will help. I appreciate the help guys. I guess I'm gonna go for it and see. I will post about it rather or not it works. I'm crossing my fingers. I think I'll go nuts until I put an EMG 81 in it or something. The Model 2 I have needs a hot pickup for some reason.

Comment

Working...
          X