Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Charvel Model 6...Anyone ever see these?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel Model 6...Anyone ever see these?

I was just curious to know if anyone actually owns on of these early Model 6's. Notice how it has the "lip" routing for the 2 single coils? Were they J200 stacked coils too? Also, it has 3 chrome switches rather than the black switches and the humbucker has no cover. Anyone?
    Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Re: Charvel Model 6...Anyone ever see these?

I own one! Having some "small" trem probs, but it has been good to me. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

I had a blue one like that, and I have that ad...I BELIEVE they were done like that in '86...

Comment

Oooohhhh! Wait!!!!! Sorry, mine is an 87. What is with the trem?

[ March 31, 2003, 08:51 PM: Message edited by: Rikrok ]

Comment

Doc, I didn't know any 6's had the surface mount Kahler. Does yours? I thought they all came with JT6's.
          My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Originally posted by mm2002:
            Doc, I didn't know any 6's had the surface mount Kahler. Does yours? I thought they all came with JT6's.
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">They didn't use the JT6 until '87, I believe.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I have a stash of those kahlers...wanna talk?

Comment

I'VE HAVE AN 86 MODEL 6 AND THE SER. # IS ON A PIECE OF TAPE ON THE BACK OF THE HEADSTOCK.THATS JUST A PROMO PICTURE OF WHAT THE MODEL 6 WAS TO LOOK LIKE. IT MIGHT BE A JACKSON WITH A KAHLER & A ROSEWOOD FINGERBOARD?

Comment

Ok just for the record the model 6 is neckthru.
                  There is a model 4A that looks just like a model 6 but is a bolt on. Has the shark inlays and the binding and the same pickups and switches.
                  I've never seen a Model series with a sticker for the seriel number. If its a neckthru it should be on the fretboard at the last fret.
                  Didn't Jackson use the JT6 after the Kahler? Once the Floyd Rose liscencing went thru in the late 80's? Then they got the contract with Floyd Rose After Kramer gave up the ghost and the Floyd came up for grabs.
                  I could be a little off but i think thats about right.
                  Gil

Comment

Is that not a neckthru?

Comment

It is a charvel and it is a neck thru. I actually have this catalog and it has great pics inside of it in a white color. I also have an "86 model 6 and mine also has the sticker serial # on the back of the headstock under the clearcoat which I know is valid because I knew the original owner. I just thought they were first made in "86 but mine doesn't look like the one on the cover and this is supposed to be an "86 catalog. I'm thinking they changed the style of the model 6 mid-stream that year? Also, mine has the kahler trem just like the pic but mine also has the black flat type toggles too. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
                      Dave ->

Comment

Yes, it is correct that the early Charvel neckthroughs had a stickered serial number. On the back of the headstock. This probably occurred through most of 1986 but by 1987 they began stamping them into the fingerboard. Have we definitely determined that the red guitar pictured above has the "lip" extensions single coil routes? I have never seen a Charvel neck through with the "lipped flange." As mentioned above, I bet that's a Jackson Soloist Custom in the ad, you cannot see the headstock so who knows.
                        "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                        Gotta get away from here.
                        Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                        Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

I have the catalog! It is inside and it is not a Jackson. It is a Charvel Model 6.
                          Dave ->

Comment

Yeah, I suspect that the instrument on the cover is either a prototype or a Jackson--I've also never seen a Charvel Model guitar with the larger pickup routes. This would make sense, as the catalog was probably prepared well in advance of the beginnging of production. The SD Soloists all seemed to have that routing, while the later '80s Ontario Soloists switched over to the narrow routing also used on the Japanese Charvels. I don't think the bigger routing came back until Jackson stopped using its own pickups in the mid-90s

As far as the serial number, it's pretty well established that all of the '86 and some of the '87 neckthrus had the number on a sticker on the back of the headstock. I have seen '87s both ways, but I have never seen an '86 Model 5 or 6 with the stamping below the last fret.

Comment

I have several model 6s and my 86 has a Kahler, no lip routes and black switches. It is numbe 6000398 so if they did thouse routes it was very early in the run.

This one has a headstock stamp, I have 2 87's 703374 is stamped on the headstock, 703385 is stamped after the last fret of the neck so the change may be within these 11 or so numbers....

Kevin
                              It's not a competition, it's a community

Comment

Working...
                              X