Charvel 650 XL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel 650 XL

Can someone help me get a little more information on my Charvel 650 XL? Serial number C8060291. I am the origianl owner and as I was in 7th grade when I got it, I didn't really ask the important questions. I tried to e-mail Jackson/Charvel about it but they never got back to me. What I want to is what are the woods used in the construction? Also, I don't know exactly what year the model is (91 maybe?). It has a Schaller double locking trem and a 5-way selector instead of the Jackson trem and individual pickup switches I've seen on older model 6's. Is this the only difference between the model 6 and the 650 xl? Also, I've got a Duncan Distortion in the bridge and a Hot Rails in the neck, both sound amazing. Any recommendations on a good middle pickup for a nice twangy clean sound? I've thought about the Duckbucker (heard the sound file from seymourduncan.com). Thanks to anyone who reads all of this. Extra thanks to anyone who responds.

Re: Charvel 650 XL

Hey Travis,
    I'm a proud owner of a 650XL also. I think the bodies are alder with a maple neck and rosewood freeboard. The difference between the 650XL and the Model 6 are as follows:
    -650XL had the toothpaste logo instead of the original style.
    -The 650XL had the 5-way blade, apposed to the 3 mini toggles on the Model 6.
    Those are the difference's I know of. There could be more. The 650XL came right after the model 6...it's basically the continuation of the model 6. They are known to play and sound as nice as the Jackson soloist's of that era which allot of people were fond of. According to your Serial #, it sounds like yours is a '91. That actually makes yours a "650 Custom"...There are NO difference's between the 650XL and the 650 Custom, except for the name of coarse. Very nice Axe!
    Hope that helps.... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

John,
      Thanks for the info. Just curious, have you done any modifications to yours or have you kept it completely stock? What kind of paint job does your 650 have? Mine is a sparkle silve which does and amazing job at covering up the dings and scratches. It looks dead mint. Thanks again.

Comment

I've only done one mod to it, I put some EMG's into it. I'm planning on putting something different though. My 650XL is actully a weird color. It's a mix between VERY dark blue, and metallic Black. I hope this helps...and welcome to the board man! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

That serial number is indicative of a 1988 production. You sure it's right? The 650 evolved in 1989. Also, the body sides were poplar with maple through necks.
          "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
          Gotta get away from here.
          Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
          Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Thanks for the correction...Wasn't to sure on that... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

The serial # is C806029. I got the 1 on the end by mistake (it was actually a grain in the rosewood). The original store receipt said it was a Platinum 650 XL, sold on March 25th, 1992. It was purchased new so I don't know why the serial # would suggest an '88. Also, anyone who has installed replacement pickups in their model 6/650, let me know how yours sounds if you have a minute. I'm thinking about getting another one and I would like a slightly different sound than what I've got. Thanks very much.

Comment

I put an EMG 81 in the bridge and two S/A's in the middle and neck postions. I thought that i would truly like the sound of the EMG's, but i just can't stand the two S/A's! The 81 does sound alright. Try going for a Tone Zone, or a JB in the bridge.

Comment

I have the stock pickups and mid-boost in mine... and I like it the way it is.

My other guitars all have EMG systems and I like the Jackson pickups just fine.

Comment

I've got a 650xl, as well. I have an EMG-85 in the bridge, with the neck/middle p'ups stock but disconnected. I prefer the sound of the 85 to the stock Jackson J-50 bridge pickup, personally. I'd like to get an EMG-81 for the bridge, however, as I like its tonal characteristics a little better than the 85 (I don't find them radically different).

Since yours starts with a "C8" serial number, it must have been produced in 1988 and be one of the very first 650xls made, since it officially was a 1989 model guitar. By the way, there is one additional difference between that guitar and the Model 6--the 650 has the Schaller-made JT-590 trem, where the '87-88 Model 6 had a Jackson JT-6 trem.

Comment

I am also a proud owner of a beautiful 650XL. Mine is a dead mint platinum finish.

I did an EMG SA/SA/81 job on mine myself very recently. I also have an EXG circuit instead of the second tone. I really, really think it sounds much better now than it with the original pups. The cleans are amazing and everything is PERFECTLY balanced. The distortions come out the way I want.

I find no difference between this guitar and a soloist other than the ebony fretboard... sigh.. they just missed one thing!...

It is a beautiful guitar, I cannot emphasize that enough. I will never sell my baby.

Comment

Working...
                      X