Paint restoration project. Pics.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint restoration project. Pics.

I thought this may be of interest to some of you who may need to do a partial refin, or maybe headstock repair. This is a Gibson Blueshawk I'm doing for our bro Heartfielder. The guitar had sustained water damage (flood) and the binding had separated from the rear of the body. Also, the paint was totally peeling off. Rather than strip the whole guitar and refin it, I wanted to save the original Blueshawk decal, so the idea was to repair the binding, strip the lower half, blend in the black to the original paint, and re-clear the whole body. I think the pics are self explanitory as far as the method I used, but feel free to ask questions if you're interested. I'll post a pic of the completed guitar once everything's re-assembled.

My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Re: Paint restoration project. Pics.

Wow, thanks for sharing, mark!!
    I'll have questions but i had to get this off of my chest. Looks fantastic [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
    Henrik
    AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

So this is after final layer of colored paint - just before sanding for first layer of clear coat?

Henrik

Comment

Exactly Henrik! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] And the picture that follows that one is after all the base has been sanded ready for clear.

Comment

woof! Great job, Mark. You really brought her back. We should start calling you The Reanimator.

mmmMMMMWWWAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAA
          Hail yesterday

Comment

As always, great work.
            I'm not Ron!

Comment

Great job!

Comment

Dayum... nice work bro!
                -Rick

Comment

Done....

Here's some completed pics. Didn't turn out too bad...

Comment

Wow!! Great work bro!!

Comment

Damn, Mark. Awesome job. It looks beautiful.
                      Scott
                      Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Very nice! You're setting pretty high standards, man. Beautiful!

Wouldn't you normally avoid letting the clear coat/paint go through the f-holes and hitting the inside body, to maintain some contrast - you know, to have the f-holes stand more out so to speak?

Henrik

Comment

Originally posted by jackson1
                          Very nice! You're setting pretty high standards, man. Beautiful!

Wouldn't you normally avoid letting the clear coat/paint go through the f-holes and hitting the inside body, to maintain some contrast - you know, to have the f-holes stand more out so to speak?

Thanks man! Actually, inside the F-hole areas were already black from the factory. On the lower one, all you are really seeing is the back of the control cover plate, so the upper one may look a bit strange with natural wood showing through. Just my theory.

Comment

Awesome work Mark! Looks killer!

Comment

My 3 year old just walked up and said " Oh... that's a pretty guitar daddy!" She's a fast learner.
                              Your work will never cease to amaze me.
                              -Rick

Comment

Working...
                              X