Model 2 gets a DiMarzio....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model 2 gets a DiMarzio....

While in Tucson AZ this week I went to the local Guitar Center and bought a DiMarzio Super Distortion. I stuck it in my Model 2 as soon as I got it home. I'm not sure if it's the guitar or the pickup, but it doesn't have output as searing as a Seymour Duncan Distortion.........that is a good thing. It sounds great in the Charvel Model 2. The notes are clear and it doesn't get muddy. I love it. I recomend it.

Re: Model 2 gets a DiMarzio....

that's cool SARJ. I've got a Dimarzio Super 2 in my Model 2.
    Hail yesterday

Comment

Hey, Gary, how's the Super 2? I've been thinking of one of those for a neck pickup. Is it real bright in the bridge?
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I don't think it's overly bright, Joe. I like the crunch I get out of it.

But then I suspect my tastes run towards a brighter tone anyhoo. Sometimes when I spend an evening tone-tweaking, I'll get a sound I think is really rockin' - come back the next night and it sounds like you could circumcise your ears with it.

Of course, it could just be that it's a good balance in the ol' Model 2. I've never tried it in another guitar.
        Hail yesterday

Comment

I am unloading the Super Distortion big time. Can't get my pinch harmonics for s%^t. I have been playing it for the past week and I'm not all that satisfied. It seems more geared to a tube amp than my solidstate poor mans Boogie tripple rec simulater.........that would be my CRATE GX212. Bummer.

Comment

already? A week ago it was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Are you running a really scooped eq? Having you tried adding mids to your sound? I have no trouble getting pinch harm.s with my Super 2 into my Laney Tube Fusion. Was playing it this afternoon actually, and had no problem. But maybe I'm just that good [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] (highly unlikely)
            Hail yesterday

Comment

Thanks for the review, Gary. I used to like brighter sounds, but like things a little darker and warmer now that I'm getting older. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] I think I'll get one eventually and try it out in both positions and see. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

You are correct. Last week it was great. That was due to the fact I was mostly playing test power chords and such and I wasn't trying to pull off anything wild yet. I was on the road and in and out of hearings and stuff. Now that I've got time to play around with it I found that it just isn't for me. I tried adding mids, but the pinch harmonics are very weak. I can wring a pinch harmonic out of a cheap acoustic guitar. Pinch harmonics are my strong point. I've been doing em for the last 15 years or so. My rig and my guitar just aren't playing nice with this exceptional pickup. I bet if I had a real nice tube amp it would be able to do it's magic, but I'm running through my CRATE GX212 and it's not digging the solidstate gear at all. According to DiMarzio it's more geard towards driving a tube amp. I'm not knocking it at all. I'd love to keep it, but since it's in my Model 2 and it's a one humbucker wonder, I want a high gain balls to the wall lead sound. The sound I'm getting from it sounds more like a hot neck humbucker. It's just way to warm and grown up for this 32 year old washed up 80's metal guitarist. I trading it in for an Evolution. It was recomended by DiMarzio so maybe it will do the trick. I tried my Seymour Duncan Distortion in my Model 2 and I was getting good results, but it wasn't working out as well as it does in my Jackson DK2. As far as I'm concerned the DK2 was born to have an SD Distortion in it. I told the guy at DiMarzio what guitar I was installing it in and what my rig consisted of and he said I would be better off with an Evolution. If it don't give me the grind of a chainsaw I'll e-bay it and buy an EMG 81. You never know until you try. In conclusion, the DiMarzio Super Distortion just aint my style.

Comment

Just re-read your post questioning my scooped EQ and notice you said you have a Super 2? Mine is just plain Super Distortion. It would be the very same type Ace Frehly is or was using. It just oozezs 70's rock. Metal shred? Not to me. By the way, been playing for almost 20 years and I'm still convinced I suck. I can't understand why people think I'm so good [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] (or do I think they think I'm so good?)

Comment

Hmm. Interesting. I just bought a super Distortion to put in a guitar I'm having built. I use Tone Zones and I love them, but wanted a higher output with the similar tone to the TZ for the new guitar.

Dimarzio suggested it, so I guess I'll have to wait and see, but I am running it through a tube amp. I'm wondering how much hotter it will be than the TZ, I don't want to have to keep adjusting my wireless to keep it from overloading.
                    Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Comment

***UPDATE***

After VitaminG's suggestions I decided to look into my mid settings. I have my mids scooped on the amp, EQ pedal and amp. I had tried the pedal only and then tried the amp. I dialed around on my amp, EQ and BOSS Metal Zone and found the setting that works best for this pickup. I'm sad to say that it still isn't doing what I want, but it sounds alot better. I guess for my mid scoop sound it's not going to work. I'm pulling it tonight and will be sending it off to DiMarzio for the Evolution tomorrow. I'd keep it if I had another axe to put it in, but being able to trade for another one is a pretty cool program so, out it goes.

Comment

I followed the advice of someone here and removed the cover from the J90C in my Model 2. Huge difference in output. Have you tried that?
                        Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Sure did. It sounded kinda cool at first, but it wasn't working well with my setup either. It was a little too bright. I guess I'm getting picky in my old age [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] I sent off the Super Distortion today. I should be getting the Evo in a few weeks. We'll see.

Comment

SARJ, I've also heard some incredible things about Evans pickups. Certain players say that they're the greatest thing ever wrapped around a bobbin. There was a thread about them here recently.

[ April 08, 2003, 07:19 AM: Message edited by: PowerTube ]
                            Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

I've heard the same thing. Finding them is a little harder for me here in the sticks. I'll look into it though. Good call Powertube. The explaination as to why I'm being a little picky is because each of the 4 guitars I have represent a type of music. My DK2 with a Seymour Duncan Distortion is used for general purpose stuff at standard tuning, Fender Tom Delong Strat with the Invader is used for punk and drop D, Charvel Model 2 is used for 80's shred type stuff like RATT and Dokken and the Strat is used for my attempt at the blues and other rock stuff. In the future other guitars will be loaded with EMG 81's and a custom guitar or two are just down the road. Alot of my pickup choices seem to be requiring me to add some mids. I'm kind of at an experimental stage. I'm playing doctor with my axes. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X